Stoked...Shiva Tomorrow - What Should I Expect?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bilbal, Jan 24, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

I am due to take delivery of my new Bogner Shiva EL34 Head with Reverb tomorrow. I got the head as trade with another TGP member. I owned a Shiva 1x12 60 watt combo about 10 years ago. I foolishly sold it to a friend. He loved the amp and used it for quite some time but ended up trading it for a Tone King combo. I tried to get him to sell it back to me but he had to act fast to get the Tone King. Though I was upset, I understand.

Anyway, I played an exact head as mine about 2 or 3 months ago at Boston Guitar in Brockton, MA. At that time I tried to work a deal for the Bogner but I couldn't. They couldn't do a trade with me for what I had with me at the time so I walked out with a Fuchs Blackjack and some extra coin in my pocket. Extra coin in your pocket after you have been at a gear shop is a great feeling. I am use to walking out with a bill to pay!!!! I am not regretting the Fuchs at all. It's a killer amp and I have enjoyed it very much. I may keep the Fuchs because it is such a killer amp!!!! The point I was trying to make was this head was completely different tonally from the combo I had ten years ago. I understand they have probably upgraded the Shiva quite a bit in ten years but it is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The "newer models" seem to have improved on what was already a killer clean channel and the drive channel is NOT AT ALL as I remember. I use to set the amp clean and use pedals for overdrive. I am not going to need any pedals with the amp I getting tomorrow.

So, to all you Shiva owners out there - I know there is more than a few of you here - what has changed in the last ten years of the Shiva history and what other little surprises should I expect? I know the individual reverb for each channel is "new" - what else? Cosmetically, I don't see any changes other than the pedal is black not gold like it was. Please let me know what you guys are digging about your Shivas and also what you think they could improve upon.

Thanks all. I will be sure to give an in depth review of the Shiva after I have had time to get my rocks off with it. Perhaps an initial impression tomorrow. I am sooooo stoked. I hope I can sleep tonight and that tomorrow isn't spent looking out the window for the Fed-X guy!!!!

Bill (bilbal)

2. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Bill,
    You are getting the newest version...modded efx loop, boost for both channels with boost volume control for channel 2, and bright switches?
    If so...I think you'll be a happy camper.
    I use my Shiva combo for all of my gigs, and rehearsals.
    And I have a few others to choose from.
    I'm expecting my Fuchs back from Scott sometime in the next week or so...but for now, with my PRS Custom 22 or my Goldtop LP...all is well.

:cool:

S.
    j

3. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Congrats on the Shiva Bill! Adding a bit of variety to the Z collection, eh? I did the same - got the 07 version EL34 head. I really like it. I had an older 6L6 version with boost mod and I like the EL with new bright switches and all that much better, both in sound and features. My thing now is finding the right speaker combo. I am going to try a v30 and CL80 in a bogner OS 2x12 and see how it works. What are you using for a cab/speakers? Congrats on a great amp purchase. Let us know your impressions.

4. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

I really liked my Shiva but it didn't have enough gain on the dirt channel. I sold it. The Aiken Sabre is in the same camp but better for me, doesn't have reverb though. I think are playing styles are different enough where like you said, the newer Shiva won't leave you needing to use a pedal so you should really dig it. Call me about the cab sometime.

5. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

let us know what you think of it, I've always wanted a Shiva but the Z's are exactly what I need right now..... but let us/me know!!

6. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Hate to interrupt you on the honeymoon, but how's she treatin' ya?

7. Metalmike117

Metalmike117 Member

The Shiva is the best amp I have ever owned. Contrats! I sold my Boogie road king, and a bunch of pedals to pick up the Shiva, I am a very happy person now. Great tone from a 2 channel amp. Enjoy!

-Mike

"the crusade for tone is not to be taken lightley"

8. bilbal

bilbal Member

Between the Shiva and my Ethos, there is very little I can't get tonally. Right now I'm playing an American strat, and this combination has made an strict humbucking kinda guy really enjoy playing his strat. I have an Ibanez Artist coming in a couple of days so I'll be able to get my 'bucker rocks off once again. That being said, I plan to split up the time between the Artist and the Strat. I have really come to enjoy the strat alot. I never thought I would EVER say that!!! I took some pointers from a Scott Henderson video on You Tube and adjusted the height of the pickups and started playing more with the tone and volume of the Strat. Let me tell ya, it has made this strat of mine quite the versatile weapon. I dig it.

The Bogner? There's not much to say about it other than it's the best amp I have ever owned. I have a hard time going to bed at night because I just want to sit and listen to the chime this amp can give me. At the same time, letting her breathe (fire) gets me off too. I haven't decided what the rest of rig is going to be yet. I have a few options that I have been dickin' around with and they all sound pretty good, The best may be the Ethos and a phaser (set deep with the speed slower than normal - almost vibey) into the front end of the Shiva. I can get a real nice Robin Trower type tone with it that way. I prefer the Ethos (still) as my lead tone but the Shiva's second channel can match it any day of the week. I just happen to like the Ethos a whole lot. I actually ordered another one today because I have four settings that I like (2 clean, 2 dirty) - hence the need for two.

9. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Expect an amp that sits PERFECTLY in EVERY mix (I am NOT exaggerating), gives you great cleans and great gain, and takes pedals well. Expect ONE amp that you can take and use EVERYWHERE!

Expect an amp that you can use with a 4x12 for rock music, or change into a combo for smaller gigs. Expect an amp that every engineer you work with will enjoy mic-ing and EQing, and will garner the respective respect it deserves for these attributes.

10. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Revelation time - I finally get it. My '78 LP Std plugged direct into an EL-34 NR Shiva head (Thanks Tripp) into a THD 2x12 with V30's.

Now, for the first, I finally understand the whole Les Paul / Marshall (or derivative) thing - UN-F#$%ING REAL... Bilbal, you should expect the JCM800 you could never find.

Thanks for letting me share.

Stormin!

11. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi Bilbal,

Did you order a second Ethos or Shiva?
    Where in CT are you?
    I'm from Norwalk.

12. bilbal

bilbal Member

Sorry for the confusion. I ordered another Ethos. I wish I couls afford another Shiva but that ain't happening!!!!

I am in Pawcatuck, CT about 5-10 minutes from Mystic depending on the cops. LOL!!!!! Where are you? Do you still have that beautiful 335 you were trying to unload for awhile?

An update: This amp is just the best amp I have ever owned or heard. I still can't believe how the clean channel chimes. The best clean tone I have found is with my strat in the second position and with the tone backed off a bit (7 or 8) on the strat. I also can't get over how the slightest of manipulation to the controls of the Shiva changes the tone. I am use to having to really drastically move the dials on other amps I have owned. With this Bogner moving the dials just a hair makes a world of difference - especially the treble. I couldn't be happier. Well, that's not true. I can always be happier. However the Bogner is making me smile more and more the more I play with it. It is truly an amazing amplifier!!!! I am looking forward to hearing it through some different cabs. My Marshall closed-back 2x12 1936 is amazing but I have a feeling that other cabs will be better still. I say this often and more often than not it doesn't happen but I am going to hang on to this baby for a long,long time. If anyone ever see a listing of me trying to sell it - smack some sense into me - please!!!!

b

13. archtopjazz

I'm in Lancaster, CA now. Decided to keep the 335.
    Sounds great thru my 6L6 Shiva.:dude

14. bilbal

bilbal Member

I'll bet. I actually traded my 335 for the Bogner. Though I don't regret the trade, I miss my 335 and just imagine how nice it would be with the Bog'. I am definitely going to grab another 335 in time. Beside the obvious names of the tubes, what are the differences between the two types of Shivas?

b

15. archtopjazz

Did you get the newer model with the bright switches?

16. bilbal

bilbal Member

No it doesn't have the bright switches. I think it's about two years old but it's absolutely mint. Rareguitars, the original owner, took incredible care of this amp. Search for his moniker and take a look at some of his gear. He's a true great gear junkie and a hell of a nice guy to work with!!! This Shiva was exactly as he described but much more than I imagined it would be. I love it!!!

b

17. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Silver Supporting Member

Bill,
    You let your beloved 335 go? :jo I can't keep up with you man! But if you want to have the worst GAS you've ever had, immerse yourself in the Les Paul Reissue (and VOS) world and you'll really be in trouble. Nothing sounds (or looks) like my 1960 RI. Did you see the photo I sent you a while back?

Anyway, congrats on the Bogner. I still have yer old MAZ and still digging it. Hope you're feeling better too! :dude

18. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Silver Supporting Member

Ooops, forgot to check "instant email gratification!"

19. bilbal

bilbal Member

So I have had my Bogner for 5 days. Today is the first time I have really tried to dial in channel two. Prior to this morning I have been mainly using channel one and my Ethos. That combination is dynamite and if the Shiva only had the one channel it would be more than enough.

Being that the Shiva is a channel switching tube head, today I entered channel two and I am trying to dial it in. This is the first amp in a long time that I have had with 2 channels. I am mostly a pedal for overdrive guy. The second channel on the Shiva is good - not good enough for me to let the Ethos go (yet!!!). I have noticed that the gain voice is very fuzzy and buzzy. It's to the point that I don't care for it at all and will never use it unless I can dial in an improvement. How do you guys set your second channel? I am using humbuckers btw. I would really appreciate some guidance with this problem.

thanks,
    Bill (bilbal)

20. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Bill,

I've got mine as follows: Gain: 3 o'clock, Bass 1:30, Mid: noon, Treble: noon, Vol: 1:30, Pres: 10:30, and turn the master up to like 9:00.

Once you get out of the quiet bedroom areas you should be getting what you want. It shouldn't be fuzzy and buzzy anymore.

Stormin!

P.S. - if you're using hot humbuckers, try lowering them a little from the strings. It may make a difference. My Lester can get a little overbearing at times with the Rio Grandes in it.