STOLE this one on ebay last night!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ascension, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Ascension

Ascension Member

This one bid out last night and I was sweating some one else recognizing what this one really was. It was listed as an import Washburn A-10 but that is NOT what this is!! Can't blame the seller as you would have to be pretty well versed on Washburn USA stuff like I am to have ever caught this one. It is so rare it's not listed anywhere on the net or at the Washburn Archives. I pegged it from the full page spread in the 1996 Washburn Catalog I happened to have.
    Man these are high end handbuilt KILLERS and SUPER SUPER rare I never though I would even get a shot at one of these. Note the USA printed on the headstock, the Shaller Floyd, Duncans, contured neck heel, triple ply binding ect. This is NO A-10 Import
    This is a ULTRA rare A-30 ARTIST USA Chicago Custom and the first one I have ever even seen outside of the 1996 Washburn Catalog photo. I bet there were less than 50 of these guitars built!!
    I snagged it for get this $276::dude!! Man the seller didn't have a CLUE what he had and I just STOLE this thing! She shipped out this morning:banana:drool
    [​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150398097119&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

2. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I don't know what he had either.

3. Ascension

Ascension Member

Google pulls nothing on these as does Yahoo. There is info on the rest of the import line A series but nothing on the 96 Stage Series reissue USA A-30.
    I knew the prefix code for the 96 USA Customs and had all the specs on the guitar everything matches up perefectly.
    Hit a buddy who happens to own one of the largest Washburn dealeships on the planet and deals in a lot of the super high end Washburn rarieties today with the auction link. Jon freaked when he saw it and like me is convinced it's absolutely legit an USA Chicago Custom A-30 :dude.

4. jhczar

jhczar Supporting Member

Buddy of mine bought an A-10 back in 1980. Those early ones are NICE guitars. No market value, but who cares? Love those bodies.

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

Nice score for little cash! Good on ya

6. oasysco

oasysco Member

So what can you get on resale? $350? It sounds so rare that there may not be a market for them.

Greg

7. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

OMG!!!! USA made!!!! Congrats!!!

8. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Nice! Now all you need is a nice inexpensive USA made tube combo to go with it :D

9. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Sweet! Congrats on a great score.

10. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

11. Big B

Big B Member

Too cool...nice score.:dude

12. John Ward

John Ward Member

.. ..

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  13. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Okay, you're coming on a little strong here with the whole "stealing" hyberbole.

Unless you play in a Judas Priest tribute band, I don't get it.

14. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

Paying $300 for that is not stealing.

15. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

Well it's definately not an A10 , looks like an A15. They had set necks which this looks like. A20 and above had a neck thru.

A30s don't have the space where the neck is set in between the FB and the pup either.

[​IMG]

16. BrentB6

BrentB6 Member

Why piss in his cereal? Good score for sure. I remember this model. Cool guitar and the quality build is worth more than the winning bid. Congrats.

17. XKnight

XKnight Member

I'm not sure what you got there, but if it's a USA Custom Shop Washburn then I'm sure it's a great player and the price is nice too.

18. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

premier guitar just had an article on the guy collecting all the washburns EVAR. he'd be able to help you out with just what this is - or probably just wouldn't mind chatting with you about it!

19. Ascension

Ascension Member

Good eye man on that gap above the neck pickup that's kind of weird as the photo doesn't really show what's going on there with this one. The smooth neck heel is not right for the Stage Series Reissue import A series They had the Gibson style joint not a sculpted smooth heel. Only the earlier MIJ A's from the early 80's had the smooth heel the 96 reissue imports were Korean. The USA after the Washburn script stamped SN not stenciled with the 96 SN prefix tells me it's a USA. Every other detail fits the A-30. Pre fix on the SN is 96 the right the date code (only year for the A-30 USA)not the 6 it would be on the imports, has the triple ply binding not the single of the imports, Shaller Floyd not the Washy 600 and Duncans not Elimiators.
    Is that one pictured yours? There were very very few of these guitars built and I would like to catch up if that one is yours after I get her in my hands.
    If it is one of the higher end imports it's no biggie as it was just $300 and still would be a killer player. If it is indeed the USA A-30 there is a market for these guitars and I made out like a bandit.
    Bought this one to play not sell so --.

20. Buzzkill

Buzzkill Member

The picture in the ebay auction shows the headstock, says USA and it is a stage series reissue. That alone makes me think you got a good deal.