Stolen 1970 or '71 4-bolt Sunburst Strat

johnnybingo

I bought my first decent guitar as a sophomore, back in David Douglas high school, in 1973 from Denny's Music, in Portland, Oregon for $440. It was a new, probably '70-early '72, sunburst Strat, 4-bolt neck, Black Tolex Fender case. Denny had ordered a good amount of them, perhaps aware of the upcoming change to the 3-bolt nonsense CBS had in the works.
It was stolen about 2 months later from Mr. Slocum's office in the Junior building band room. Also stolen at the same time was my friend's 1954-56 (probably) Strat (he paid $350 for it at the same store) along with my Shin-E-Wah pedal, and his letterman jacket.
I later recovered the Shin-E-Wah. A student stupidly brought it to school a month or so later. Looking back, we probably should have taken him for a ride in the country for some fresh air to maybe help him remember where he got it.
Ah, high school.... I had a Gibson Deluxe Les Paul that I sold to Tommy Thayer (now in KISS) via an ad I placed in the Oregonian newspaper after my garage band broke up. A friend texted me the other day to let me know Thayer mentions it in a "My first Gibson" video on YouTube. He and a friend showed up and asked if it was stolen, didn't care about the low e tuner I had banged on something and bent, bought it, and went back to Beaverton where he lived. Watched the video. It was funny to be referred to as "A private party" by Thayer. I don't know why.
Anyway, we kind of knew who stole our guitars back then but couldn't prove it. It would be interesting, if nothing else, to hear from anyone who knows anything willing to talk after all these years.

Last edited:

sonhenry

Can you get people drunk and start them talking at a High School reunion? All kinds of stuff is bound to come out.

Sorry about the stolen guitar. That sucks.

johnnybingo

Yeah, didn't think of that. In a way I think it's better not knowing if it turned out to be somebody, I thought was a friend, or that they traded for a couple 3/4 Oz bags of commercial weed.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom