• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Stolen guitars, is this a real thing?

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
When I was playing a steady gig at a club on the Lower East Side a few years ago, there was a guy who would go into clubs and slip into dressing rooms and walk off with all kinds of stuff. I know he got someone's guitar from the club where I played.

At one point, there were surveillance cam pictures up on the walls of just about every club in the neighborhood. Not sure if they ever caught him, but no one was letting their gig bags out of their sight for a while there..

I am surprised at how many here mention they are concerned about their good guitars be stolen at gigs and such, making sure they have backups and perhaps using cheaper replacements.

Are stolen guitars a big issue, who would steal somebody's else's pride and joy, I am shocked by this.

Care to enlighten me on the subject.
Not much to enlighten someone on, these things happen...drugs are a huge issue and plenty of people steal stuff like instruments to pawn for that purpose.

I know more than one person whose gear sprouted legs and walked off in between sets or during load-in, so I just never let my gear leave my sight. If the band's goin' to dinner, my guitar's getting a seat at the table :). 20+ years, no issues.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I used to guitar tech for a national act metal band. After my gig ended, the next guy who took the guitar tech gig was loading out after a show in AL (IIRC) and was shot in an attempted gear robbery. He survived and nothing life threatening, but that s**t could’ve happened to me.

squeally dan

Silver Supporting Member
I am surprised at how many here mention they are concerned about their good guitars be stolen at gigs and such, making sure they have backups and perhaps using cheaper replacements.

Are stolen guitars a big issue, who would steal somebody's else's pride and joy, I am shocked by this.

I’m actually surprised that you are surprised that people steal guitars. There are plenty of people living moment to moment that will do anything to get there next fix.

A few weeks ago I was playing at church. While we were onstage, a lady snuck out of the hospital across the street with iv pole. She came in the back door of the church behind the stage, ripped out her iv, and then bandaged her arm with a first aid kid we had sitting on a shelf. She then found my jacket, took my keys out and stole my truck. We finished the service and I walked out to find my truck gone. The police came and told me the lady was high on meth and had been living in a storage unit. When the police came to kick her out of the storage unit, she swallowed a bunch of meth in order to avoid being caught with it. That’s why they took her to the hospital across the street from my church.

The police that showed up at the church told me I’d likely get my car back when the meth head ran out of gas or wrecked it. Luckily they found her about two hours later at a nearby gas station. The meth head had burned off a quarter tank of gas and filled my car with all kinds of trash and crap from her storage unit. So, yes people steal things.

Chuckracer

Silver Supporting Member

You're joking, right? You have to be joking or trolling.

Care to enlighten us??

I was at a gig about 60 miles from home base and the band was loading all the gear into a trailer that the singer's boyfriend was driving back to town and supposedly was to parked inside a garage-I just didn't feel comfortable with this arrangement ,so I paid the bass player a couple of bucks to take me and my gear back to town-well the singer ended up parking on the street , the van got robbed and everybody lost their gear ,except me 'cause I listened to my inner voice-'68 Strat , '65 Vibrolux and JC120 survived to play another gig

SushiPowPow

Crimes of opportunity can occur anywhere as seen with packages left on doorsteps and valuable assets left in cars. Dedicated thief's are wise to habits and timing them can prove rewarding.

Best bet is to have a healthy dose of situational awareness since this seems to be severely lacking in society at the moment.

Guitars In Paradise

You're joking, right? You have to be joking or trolling.

Care to enlighten us??
Perhaps I should said saddened instead of surprised.

Also should have continued something along the lines that I would think guitars would be easy to track down and recover at some point, pawned to stores, serial numbers etc.

And yes I have lived a fairly sheltered life, lol

Suave Eddie

I recall playing in a city in the US...I won't mention the name...where the 'hotel' clerk suggested someone stay up during the night, in shifts or something, to make sure no one broke into our room and stole our gear.
Why the secrecy regarding the name of the city?

Locally, the vast majority of guitar thefts seem to occur with instruments left in cars. I'm so paranoid that I'll bring my guitar with me into stores or gas stations rather than leave it in the car, even briefly.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom