1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stolzer Custom Explorer

Discussion in 'Reviews of Electric Guitars' started by samdjr74, Feb 10, 2017.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

This is just a quick review of the Stolzer Explorer I had Keith build me last year. First let's start with the specs. I wanted a 70's style "hippie sandwich" build. Think Alembic, Moonstone and even a little Gibson. So neck thru design, laminated body, laminated neck, etc. I wanted aggressive pickups, basic electronics and bras/brass colored hardware. As far as the wood, maple as a bass for the body and neck with an ebony board (I like character in the wood so we went with a streaky ebony). Everything else was open to Keith to come up with some ideas. The neck had to based on a PRS CU24 and Warmoth Wizard, just because it fits my hand nicely. It also had to be under 9lbs as I have a bad back and I need something lighter. Keith hit me up on a build thread I started and we got to talking about it. The build started in May of last year and finished up in late June, so about a 6 to 7 week build time, really fast.

Keith was spot on with updates. And if any questions popped up, he's drop me a quick email. This I really do appreciate. He's very customer service oriented and wants to make sure you're both on the same page. We never had any issues come up but I gave him a lot of creative freedom on the build and he was always running things by me. At the end, between his ideas based on what I had in my head, the results are amazing. One thing in particular is the tailpiece. As I mentioned, I wanted a 70's style build and a brass tailpiece would be perfect for the build. Instead of Keith ordering one he milled one out after he sent me a couple designs to look at. The tailpiece is truly one of a kind and fits the build perfectly.

Now for the play-ability, first it balances perfectly, so no neck diving which is great. The scale is typical PRS at 25" and it has a 24 fret neck. The pickups are from NLS which was recommended by Keith and they are both a hot PAF style. With the mass from the tailpiece and the hot pickups, the guitar sounds huge. It gets real dirty and pushed my amps well but stays dynamic so you're getting a lot more than just overdrive, you can still hear the notes. Because of the simple electronics with a 3 way selector, 2 tones and 2 volumes, there's nothing to color the sound. The pickups also clean up nicely so the guitar has an expansive tonal palette. The guitar also doesn't have a high gloss finish, this was at my request. Besides the fact that it wouldn't fit the look I was after, I don't like a high gloss finish on the back of a neck. This makes the guitar much easier to play.

The entire build was not only fast but the results were exactly what I was looking for. Keith built the guitar I had in my head and it not only looks the part but it sounds fantastic and its one of the best playing guitars I own. I would not hesitate to call up Keith for my next build.

And here are a few shots of the guitar, enjoy!

Thank you,
    Sam

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

redgold likes this.
  2. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Amazing!

Congrats.