Stomp Under Foot New Hellephant Review!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steelerboy329, Dec 23, 2013.

1. steelerboy329

steelerboy329 Member

My new Hellephant arrived today from Matt and I anxiously plugged it in for a test run. I really wasn't sure what to expect because when I usually get a new pedal from Matt it is some kind of muff.

Well, this one seemed similar to a fuzz face using two silicon transistors. I've had several different silicon fuzz faces so I had an idea of what to expect. I pugged it in using my Grosh NOS Retro and VSA 15, set the knobs to where I usually set my fuzz faces, and turned it on.

:drown

Woah, it's loud! Warning, careful with the volume knob...

Anyways, I adjusted the volume and started playing. WHAT AN AWESOME SOUNDING FUZZ! It easily does a great soaring lead tone, has plenty of sustain, and seems like it would cut in the mix pretty well (still need to test the third one more). Next I decided to test the cleanup. This is where I usually get turned off by these types of fuzz. I know silicon won't clean up as well as germanium, but I'm not going for that. I want a very usable OD tone that doesn't come out to harsh or that I have to constantly mess with my tone knob on my guitar.

This excels at this very well. VERY WELL! I turned my volume knob (guitar) down to about 5 and was blown away. No extra tweeting was required. Just a very awesome OD by the turn of a knob. Want to go back into fuzz territory? Just turn the volume knob back up! I have to say this fuzz exceeded my expectations in every possible way. Even the price was right. Do yourself a favor and give one a try.

I'm off from work for a while so I plan on trying to put some clips together if I figure everything out. Below are the settings I'm currently using.

[​IMG]

2. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

3. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

Cool pedal name, too. Thanks for the review.

4. Last

Last Member

Love your SUF reviews.

Judging by the 9:00 position on the level knob looks like you're not kidding about the volume boost.

5. jul.brown90

jul.brown90 Member

Thank you for the review :) !!!

6. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

I've found that on the SUF Muff's I have, there is a lot of volume on tap as well. Unity is 9' 00 or below! Still, it does give the pedals a lot of boosting range and may even contribute to the superb clarity Matt's builds exibit.

Thanks for the review, Steelerboy. I like the new design, too.

7. zerorez

zerorez Member

Nice review and nice looking pedal, is this SUF's take on the Fuzzface, how does it compare to the Analogman Si FF you have? Thanks

8. BadMonkey007

BadMonkey007 Member

You increase each time the bank account of Matt He must be glad that you exist :roll

9. steelerboy329

steelerboy329 Member

I don't have the Sun Face anymore, but when I first plugged the Hellephant in and turned it on, it quickly reminded me why I liked it so much. They are similar with the fuzz knob turned up, but they act very differently with the guitar's volume knob. I feel the SUF has a much more usable OD tone than the Sun Face has when you start playing around with that knob.

10. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Damnit Steelerboy, you're killin me.

Now I need one.

11. PDXmoe.ron

PDXmoe.ron Member

12. la noise

la noise Member

13. jrcjoseph

jrcjoseph Member

Clips please. I don't care if it's a 5 year old playing out of tune, we need them! :D

14. wrightdude

wrightdude Member

^^^ agree..... clips..... want......!