Stomp Under Foot Pumpkin Pi Fuzz Pedal Review.

Discussion in 'Reviews of Pedals and Effects' started by BigPoppa94, Nov 5, 2017.

1. BigPoppa94

BigPoppa94 Member

Hey, everyone. I'm thrilled to finally do a review on this pedal! I have been searching for the perfect opamp Big Muff style fuzz for a long time. My search has officially come to an end since trying out the Pumpkin Pi. Let's chow down on this pedal!

Looks:

The graphics on the Pumpkin Pi are perfect in their own subtle way. I crave a pumpkin spice latte and Halloween candy every time I look at this pedal.

The combination of black, orange, and white really make this pedal stand out without blaring flashiness in your face. While this may not be a big deal to most; I have to say that I really like that the color scheme goes perfectly with the pedal's name. I'm a sucker for design cohesiveness, haha.

The tasteful use of the Muff font also really ties this pedal's design together very well. For me, the Muff font can really come in handy for those who know of the Big Muff, but are new to the boutique pedal market. The Muff font used on this pedal really explains itself to an audience both new to the boutique market and to those who are veterans to the boutique market.

One issue that I have with a lot of current pedals is that they use small knobs. That's not the case with the Pumpkin Pi. This pedal has large knobs that make adjustments very smooth and you can use your foot during a gig to turn a setting up or down.

Lastly, for the looks department, Stomp Under Foot gets bonus points for using an orange LED in this pedal. I'm suddenly craving another pumpkin spice latte.

Ease of use:
    The controls on the pedal are self-explanatory. Volume, tone, and sustain. Hit the footswitch to turn it on and hit the footswitch again to turn it off. As stated in the "Looks" description, the volume, tone, and sustain knobs all turn very smoothly to ensure that you really hit the target for your desired tone.

Sound:
    Let me start off this section by saying that this is easily the biggest sounding fuzz that I've ever had the pleasure to play. It's fattening and it has a mound of cream on top just like a real pumpkin pie.

When this pedal arrived, I turned up the volume, gave the tone knob and sustain knob some turns, hit an E-chord and was blown away...Almost literally! The amount of girth that this pedal packs is incredible. Just with one strum of an E-chord I felt like a nuke was blasted out of my cabinet.

After messing with the knobs a bit, I figured out that turning the tone knob clockwise will get you a more treble-bite tone and turning the tone knob counter-clockwise will give you a much more bass heavy tone (a bass would do very well with the some of the counter-clockwise settings). The sustain knob does a great job with controlling the amount of gain that you want. I couldn't find any bad spots on the sustain control. All of the different settings on the sustain control felt very useable to me.

For the sake of having to do it, I went online to find a photo of Billy Corgan's opamp Big Muff settings (tone at about 2 and sustain all the way up) and I dialed in those exact settings on the Pumpkin Pi. With those settings, the Pumpkin Pi sounded identical to Corgan's Big Muff sound. I was really happy to find that out.

To round out the discussion on the pedal's sound...Yes, it works in a live setting. My band is a three-piece, so while I'm not fighting another guitarist for mids, I am still meshing with a bassist to have a huge sound. This pedal did not disappoint for that. The Pumpkin Pi is sitting happily on my live board and will stay there.

Final thoughts:
    Overall, the Pumpkin Pi is one of the best fuzzes that I have ever used. The tone of the pedal is great practically wherever you position the volume, tone, and sustain knobs, the pedal sits well in a live setting, and the Pumpkin Pi is versatile enough to make any guitarist (or bassist) happy. The Pumpkin Pi will be stuffing my ears with gobs of delicious fuzz for a lifetime. I can't recommend this pedal enough. This is truly a must-have if you are a fuzz fan. Stomp Under Foot really baked up a legendary treat with this pedal.

**Gear used**
    Freidman Runt 50w
    Mexican Fender Classic Player Jaguar with Railhammer Alnico Grande bridge pickup
    Mesa 4x12 cabinet with Vintage 30s
    Three pumpkin spice lattes

If you would like any pedals reviewed, please feel free to send me a message! Also, check out my band in my signature! Thank you!

mattpas and Rob303 like this.
  2. mattpas

mattpas Silver Supporting Member

Thank you for the great review.

BigPoppa94 likes this.
  3. Rob303

Rob303 Supporting Member

I received one a week ago and it’s just so good in so many ways. The tone knob has like a 99.9% usable range which makes for crazy versatility. As said many times, it nails that SD gritty cream sauce and makes for amazing shoegazey rhythm tones. When A/B’d next to my W&C TFR and BuffaloFX Patriot (I know totally different circuits, but fwiw) it has much more clarity and seems to have a cut those do not. I’m stoked to take to band practice for the true test.

This is my first SUF purchase and it’s unlikely I’ll go elsewhere now for my Muff needs.

BigPoppa94 and mattpas like this.
  4. BigPoppa94

BigPoppa94 Member

I agree with everything you said! I see that EHX re-released their Op-Amp Muff, and while I haven’t done a shootout between the Pi and the EHX, I have to say that through the sound of video clips, I easily like the Pi more. It just blooms so much better and sounds much warmer to my ears. I also am not a fan of the tiny knobs that come on a lot of the small EHX pedals. Don’t get me wrong, I think EHX did fine with the re-release, but SUF Nails the Op-amp sound much better.

mattpas likes this.
  5. BigPoppa94

BigPoppa94 Member

No problem at all!

6. Rob303

Rob303 Supporting Member

Funny, it was the EHX Op-Amp reissue that put the Pumpkin Pi on the map for me. The Billy Corgan vid got me stoked for the EHX but some snooping led me to SUF.

mattpas likes this.
  7. BigPoppa94

BigPoppa94 Member

I’m curious as to where EHX got their color scheme idea from for their Op-amp reissue. Hmmm...

Rob303 and mattpas like this.
  8. mattpas

mattpas Silver Supporting Member

Thank you and I am glad you like it.

Rob303 likes this.
  9. BigPoppa94

BigPoppa94 Member

As soon as I can, I may try to post up a review of the EHX op-amp reissue. A store in town got them in and I’ve had a few people message me about doing a side by side review of the EHX and the SUF. I can’t see the future, but I have a feeling I already know who the winner will be. ;)

Rob303 likes this.