stomp Under Foot rhinosaur on guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iunderd, May 24, 2015.

1. iunderd

iunderd Member

I love SUP effects and Matt just released his first fuzz for bass....anyone try this out on guitar to get some nice low end fuzz?

2. pet peddler

pet peddler Member

I have this pedal for guitar, I own many other SUF pedals; I am very familiar with all of the different meters or shades of fuzz that Matt's pedals produce. I would say this pedal sounds great for guitar regardless if it is rhythm, riffing or leads it has its own voice. I guess the thing I really like about it the most is where it sits in the mix with the loops I have made using this pedal; it fits in well and doesn't overtake other tracks with its frequency space.
    Something I learned about the Rhinosaur that I thought was interesting is that when you play it above bedroom volumes I had to turn up the volume quite a bit to reach unity gain, and when the fuzz is past 3 o'clock it sounds really amazing, the fuzz takes on a wild character (metallic artifacts) that jumps out of the amps speaker cabinet (Mesa 4x12 Recto. w/ Celestion Vintage 30's), I was very impressed with this sound.
    For curiosity sake I A/B'd the Rhinosaur pedal with a SUF "The Pi" pedal (in my opinion this is one of the best "can do it all fuzz pedals") at above bedroom volumes...
    The Pi was better suited for guitar... it sounded more present and had an edge to it that I could not deny. The Rhinosaur still sounds awesome and I understand it more now than I did when I first got it. I see how it is tuned to bass,baritone, 8 and 7 string guitars or real low tuned guitars.
    It's fuzz is extremely usable like the SUF Civil War, I really like how it holds up for riffing and rhythms and I like leads with it because it doesn't take over the whole mix.
    I just would not have this as my only SUF Fuzz pedal for guitar and judge it on those merits when I know it was truly tuned for bass playing. I would run an octave pedal or pitch shift that can play an octave below your pitch for more low end; yes the Rhinosaur sounds great in that capacity. I hope this helps.
    Gabe

Last edited: May 26, 2015