Stompbox stomp stopper?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tnjazz, Feb 24, 2015.

1. tnjazz

tnjazz Supporting Member

This might seem like a weird question, but I googled and couldn't really find anything.

Does anyone make a "stompbox stopper" ? Something to prevent you from accidentally stomping on your pedal to engage/disengage the effect?

The reason I ask is because I'm currently the only guitar player in my band so for harmony leads I use a Digitech HarmonyMan. On stage it's very easy to accidentally stomp on the right pedal, which cycles through the presets, when trying to stomp the left side pedal which turns the effect on and off. As a result, a lot of times the harmony preset is wrong and it throws everything off. Then I have to struggle cycling back through the presets to get it back to where it's supposed to be before the next harmony line comes along!

I've taken to wedging a small keychain bottle opener under the right pedal to keep me from doing that but I'm wondering if there is a more elegant solution? I know Hardwire has a thingy for some of their pedals that goes over the dials to keep them from being moved, but is there anything that will work for the stomp part of the pedal as well? Something that would fix the pedal in place but still be able to quickly remove, change the preset and replace between songs?

I know I can use a loop switch which would take care of the problem but my board is essentially maxed out for real estate.

2. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Maybe take a piece of plywood or trim wood and cut it to size to wedge it underneath the lip of the footswitch. You can paint it to match the color of the enclosure. You could also use aluminum edging and cut it to size.

3. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

5. stilwel

stilwel Member

I've seen people use plastic soda bottle caps taped over the switches....as long as the switches don't sit too high of course.

You could also drill out the top so you can still push the button with your finger if you need to actually use it.

6. tnjazz

tnjazz Supporting Member

The pedal is a dual Boss style stomp. So mounting a switch on the side or covering it with something aren't applicable.

I know I can do it DIY as suggested (and I am at the moment with the bottle opener) or use a single channel loop switch. I guess I was just curious if there was anything actually on the market that was designed for this purpose.

7. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Sounds like more hassle than its worth... Why not just get a pitchfork or Whammy?

8. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

There isn't a ready-made product to prevent someone from stepping on their pedal, in the same way there isn't a product to prevent someone from hitting the wrong string on their instrument.

As a practical idea, could you angle the pedal so the corner is facing you? \/ means you're only looking at one corner point of the pedal, instead of [_|_].