Stone Age 212C amd new speakers!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys!
I love my Stone Age 212C but have struggled with speakers because I have been trying to use speakers in this cab that are not typical
of what I would use. I was basically looking for versatility and a change of pace from Greenbacks and V30s. Right now, it has G12K-100s,
and I think I need to get back to what works for me! I am a V30 and Greenback guy. I like thick, chewy tones and speakers with character and are a bit more forgiving than K-100s or CL-80s.
Also, When I say Greenback, I mean 25 watters and also the
new crop of Creambacks. So I think I am eaither going with 2 Creamback M65s, 2 Lynchbacks or a Creamback M65/Creamback H75.
Anyone have experience with these in a 212 cabinet?
I will report back when I get it set up....

Should I worry about wattage at 50 watts a piece with two Lynchbacks running a 100 watt head..

Last edited:

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I have a Creamback 65 and V30 in a cab. Pretty good combo.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Should I worry about wattage at 50 watts a piece with two Lynchbacks running a 100 watt head..

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
It may be time to go back to CL-80s. Bruce Egnater always says that nothing will beat out the CL80 or K-100 in a 212 so I may try to stick with one of these speakers. Maybe a blend. :)

peterdjp

I have used the k100 mixed with an emi rwb with good results. The darker rwb balances out the k100 nicley.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I have used the k100 mixed with an emi rwb with good results. The darker rwb balances out the k100 nicley.
The K-100s are rather dark and I find I have to dial up more treble and presence, but mixing in a V30 or brighter speakers helps for sure! However, nothing beats the feel and tone of Greenbacks/Creambacks or V30s so I may stick to those. I am going to try CL-80s first. :)

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I decided what I want speaker wise. I spent time with a friend today swapping around speakers. He brought over some speakers. I really like blending and mixing speakers, :) Seems 3D and big/full. I have two oversized 212 cabs - the Stone Age 212C and the Bogner OS212 which has the matting or padding fluf stuff on the inside of the rear panel! I want to use a V30/K100 mix in one cab and a Creamback M/65/H75 in the other 212.
Which one would you guys recommend the V30/K100 mix and which cab for the M65/H75? Thoughts?
I also like to use both cabs closed back mostly but I also run them semi open at times.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I think I prefer to use straight speakers in cabs, no mixing. Right now I am back to this method and I have to admit, having 3 or 4 amps, it helps having different cabs and speakers. I am keeping my Splawn 412 straight up Lynchbacks, my Bogner closed back 212OS with Vintage 30s, and my Stone Age 212C semi oen with G12K-100s What I would like is another Stone Age 212C with lower wattage and lower DB speakers for something I can really crank and I am thinking either the Stone Age 212C or another used Bogner 212OS with either Creamback 65s or Splawn Small Block 50s.
I love how drastically you can alter your tone with speakers and cabs. I would also love a used Mesa Rectifier 212 for those modern aggressive moments.
The Bogner 212OS is more bluesy by nature and the Stone Age is more true and clear.

Last edited:

Trending Topics