stone picks

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by µ¿ z3®ø™, Nov 17, 2005.

1. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the other thread about the pick/string relationship had me thinking.
    for years i used a 'min'd' pick. it was made from agate and was a non traditional shape in that it was longer and narrower than a regular pick. does anyone remember these?
    eventually the ones that i had were either broke or stolen and i have several fabricated by a lapidary that cost me a small fortune. now they are all gone as well. i'm currently using those jim dunlop stubby picks. they are OK, but don't have the tone that the stone picks have and i certainly like the unorthodox shape of the min'd pick.
    sooo.....
    does anyone still use these or have the foggiest idea what i'm talking about?
    does anyone have a supply of these that they would like to share or know of someone that can fabricate them for a reasonable amount of $$$?

splatt and James like this.
  2. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I remember those. I had one in the mid 80's. I have no idea where to find one though.

3. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

U obviously weren't smitten by it?
    they did take an adjustment of technique.
    perhaps i'll have to shell out massive amounts of money again to have some fabricated.

HiddenCharms likes this.
  4. free_jazz

free_jazz Member

check out the various gypsy jazz picks made by Wegen picks... or the various fat picks made by Dugain. You'll never look back.

5. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

thanx.
    U wouldn't happen to have links, would U?

HiddenCharms likes this.
  6. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

actually i googled them.
    a direct quote from the dugain site:

This plectrum is blah blah fghjkl fghhhj fgfhjkl; gvhk hjkl jhjkl ghjk hjkk ghhj gjhj hjkl; ghjkl hjj hkjk jkll j kj jk jkkl jlk jk j.dsgsogphkfhgjgj jiifghjbbk bbbfghjk vbnm vbn vbnm bn bn

how could i go wrong.

7. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

That may well be the worst ever sales line. The site is crap also, it only shows the Zebu horn pick. Maybe their new site on the 25th will work.

8. free_jazz

free_jazz Member

9. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

I saw the wegen's and am considering trying the twins. They look cool but the dugain's look cooler.

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the wegen picks look very interesting, but......
    they are made of plastic.
    stone has the tone.
    so i'm gonna wait for the dugain site to be updated on the 25th (yeah right).
    as it is right now U can't even order a pick if U wanted to. but i could see myself buying a few different types of picks.
    i had a fossilised mastadon tusk pick (no kidding) that was pretty cool , but fragile.
    bone, wood, metal, stone????
    dugain...... blah blah fghjkl fghhhj fgfhjkl; gvhk hjkl jhjkl ghjk hjkk ghhj gjhj hjkl; ghjkl hjj hkjk jkll j kj jk jkkl jlk jk j.dsgsogphkfhgjgj jiifghjbbk bbbfghjk vbnm vbn vbnm bn bn.
    gives me a chuckle.
    note to other websites that are being constucted.....
    blah blah fghjkl fghhhj fgfhjkl; gvhk hjkl jhjkl ghjk hjkk ghhj gjhj hjkl; ghjkl hjj hkjk jkll j kj jk jkkl jlk jk j.dsgsogphkfhgjgj jiifghjbbk bbbfghjk vbnm vbn vbnm bn bn.

11. free_jazz

free_jazz Member

I like Dugain's bone picks, but they do wear out. I actually prefer the blunted wear though. And after playing Dugain's, I couldn't imagine a Wegen having the same feel.
    ...looking forward to making a Wegen adjustment sometime though.

12. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I like the Dugain picks more than the Wegens, mainly because I find the Wegens to be a bit rough. Dugain makes their picks from a wide variety of materials, but I prefer the plastic ones. The do make some out of stone (including agate), as well as horn, wood, bone, glass, metal, etc. I like the "mini" shape made of delrin or acetate.

You can see a whole slew of them at the gyspsyjazz.net site:

http://gypsyjazz.net/productStoreSubCat.php?prod=7&scat=Dugain Picks

Bryan

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

hey, thanx 4 the link.
    i actually like the super smooth picks. great for really fast alternate picking.
    looks like i'll place an order for several picks. hematite? agate? glass? the mind boggles. i like the fact that they are contoured as well.
    does the contour for the index finger run horizontal or is it angled?

14. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

It is an angled contour. I think it is designed for a player who curls their index finger when holding the pick, but I don't do that and it works fine for me.

The picks are available at several shops (including Elderly, whose pics I link to below), but I think I know that gypsyjazz.net is the importer into the U.S.

Thumb side:

[​IMG]

Finger side:

[​IMG]

Bryan

15. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

hey bryan, thanx 4 the pix.
    i was surprised that they were fairly inexpensive as well.
    making stone picks is labour intensive.
    maybe he has slave dwarves in the back room, handcrafting picks to keep them off of the streets w/ their battle axes during the riots in france.

16. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

I just place an order for a rosewood, coconut shell, rose quartz and a mini delrin. Thats pretty much one of everything. I hope they are not like Jazz III's. I used to love them but now when I alternate pick they seem to get caught and slow me down. Hopefully these will be the answer.

17. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

Actually I really liked them, the other guitar player in the band hated them though. They were in the case of my #1 when it was stolen, and I just never bothered to try to find more. I like the feel of a thick pick, it helps me stay in control. Most of the fat plastic picks hang up on the strings, so I stick to about 1mm.

I just checked out the links. I can't believe I have pick gas now.:eek:

18. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I used to experiment with stone picks, but the problem I had was that they tended to act as mini-slides on the strings. If you weren't careful, the stone would sound a high note if you rested it on the string.

But obviously you don't do that! :)

19. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i actually LIKED the fact that U could get very unusual slide type effects if U hit the strings w/ the side of the pick on various positions along the string.
    i'm ALWAYS looking for unusual stuff, tho'.

20. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I used a few stone picks in the 80's, but found the dust on the pickups and guitar tops annoying, unless they fixed that in the later versions....?