Stone Temple Pilots

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mario, Jan 20, 2006.

1. mario

mario Member

Lately I have been listening to a lot STP and I was wondering if anyone has any idea what kind of fuzz or amp is being used on "Vasoline". The tone on that main riff is great!

2. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Dean probably was killing a little amp like a Fender Princeton. He usualy stacked the little amps cranked in layers with other "big amp" tones.

Shawn

3. mario

mario Member

Wow, I had no idea layering small amps could get such tone. Thanks for the info!

4. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

I just recently read something in an old Guitar Player magazine where Dean said that he was using a Sovtek amp layered with something else. I'll have to check when I get home..
    Anybody hear what Dean is doing now? I got an inside track on something he's up to... could be cool or it could suck.

5. tocs100

tocs100 Member

There's a detailed article of his rig at the MusicToyz(?) Forum. I don't recall mention of what he used for modulation though, but his chord-work often has great, haunting shimmers....

6. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

He and Robert have a new group......Army of Anyone. They've got Richard Patrick from Filter singing and DLR's last drummer. I don't remember his name, helluva drummer tho. Rumour is that they're in the studio now. I can't hardly stand myself, just waiting for that to come out. This site's under construction, but here it is anyway.

http://armyofanyone.com/

For you STP fans. There's gonna be one reunion show this fall w/ STP and Velvet Revolver playing together (if Scott doesn't flake out). I'll glady give both my nuts for tickets to that. I'll post more info when I get it.

7. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

Exactly! I just heard a demo today. Really cool stuff, even though I hate Richie...

8. modoc

modoc Guest

Hi,
    I believe they used the Demeter TGA-2 layered with AC-30. Thats what i was told from Demeter right before i bought the TGA-3...which lasted all of 30 seconds. Now i have an OD-100 :) Nuff said

Jase

9. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

That's going to be one very interesting show.:AOK

10. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Quote from Mario:
    Wow, I had no idea layering small amps could get such tone. Thanks for the info!01-20-2006 08:02 PM

Jimmy Page did the same thing all most of the Zep stuff. His main recording rig was a Fender Telecaster played through a little Supro amplifier - and he managed to create the often immitated but never to be duplicated "Hammer of the Gods" sound (of course having John Bonham playing drums had something to do with that sound as well!!)

11. moodog

moodog Member

His favorite amp used on Tiny Music was a Gretsch 6150. It could be layered in there as well.
    This amp was made by Valco, same company that made Supro amps. This model is one of the most common Valco small amp models and believed to be the same Valco model as the Supro that Jimmy Page used on a lot of the Zep albums. It makes good sense that Dean calls this one his favorite.
    I owned one and man I can tell you that this little amp sounds huge when mic'd and on tape. It has a wonderful stock overdrive that sounds like the smoothest fuzz pedal you have ever heard.
    One knob, turn it up about half way and it's one of the most kick ass distortions you've heard. Not a really loud amp but great for recording and practice amp.

12. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Dean also used a Vox AC-15 for a lot of recording on the last 3 albums.

13. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

http://belowempty.com/Equipment/97xxxx_Tiny_Talk_Show.php

much overlap between him and jimmy...

in general the blended Demeter/AC30 was his standard live sound..in the studio, he used all sorts of stuff

and...WOW...I've been waiting for the bros. Deleo to hook up with a new singer...cant wait.

14. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Back on the first record he was using the chorused reverb setting on the on the Rocktron Intelliverb with a Demeter TGA 3 amp. He got crazy good tones and they sounded just as good live. His brother Rob had a lot to do with many of the cool voicings used on those tunes. They are both huge talented.