Stoneage 2x12B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rockyrollercat, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I want to get a cab for classic hard rock and I'm liking the Stoneage 2x12B. Just wondering which back to get on it. Is a 2x12 as directional as a 1x12 with a closed back? Will the smaller cab have enough bass with an open back?

Thanks,
    RRC

2. moggio

moggio Member

I have two of the StoneAge 2x12 Bs. One running Greenbacks, the other Heritage G12H-30s. They are open backs (small opening). No lack of bass response, and actually sound like much larger cabs. Excellent build quality. You cannot go wrong with a StoneAge cab.

3. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

Does it look like you could easily change the baffle to a 1x12?

4. moggio

moggio Member

No. I don't think that would be easy at all. StoneAge cabs are built tight- really tight. I had a hell of a time just taking one of the back panels off just to change speakers! That's why they don't rattle of vibrate no matter how much you throw at hem. The closed back is very directional, the open back is more "airy". I also have a C cab that started as a closed back and is now open back. I prefer open back but that is just me.

5. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I got an email back from SA saying the baffle can be changed but you have to order both baffles with the cab. Like you say, they must be custom fitted tight. I don't think I'll ever want to change it after being spoiled with 2x12 goodness though.

Thanks,
    RRC