Stoner/Psychedelic guys: Show us your rigs!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DanHorse, Jun 1, 2012.

1. middy

middy Member

Came for the rigs. Am disappoint.

xcc, guy8string and Thesleepstalker like this.
  2. aisling

aisling Supporting Member

Ive long realized the irony and hypocrisy that I have more toys and tools than the bands who inspired me in the first place.....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    shojin and Gallery like this.
  3. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Oh don't get me wrong, I have some weirdo toys and all that. But I will have my Melvins/Jesus Lizard/Fugazi style band some day where all I have is a boost and a delay.

4. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

As long as you're actually using them to make music (be it for your self or to share with others) then there is no shame in that.

William Braddell likes this.
  5. Gallery

So would I, if I were a working musician, playing live, practically living in my van, setting up and tearing down my own rig on a nightly basis, and had to reproduce my recorded sound in front of a crowd. My live board is much simpler (although I only play covers) and includes 2 MXR pedals. There are nights when I play my live board at home and get some great rockin and trippy Stoner tones and start to wonder why I have that other rocket ship control panel of a board. And I prove to myself I don't need it. Then I plug into it and remember why I have it.

It's a lot easier (and a lot more fun) to use 14 Chase Bliss and Meris pedals crammed together on one board when you can sit in a chair with sweats and socks on noodling away for hours. There's no audience to notice when you accidentally hit the Delay with the side of your foot when trying to click on the Phaser. No one cares if you spend 10 minutes trying to tweak the perfect modulated reverb.

Yeah, there's definitely some irony in it, but there's also a lot of logic and pure enjoyment.

If you notice, these bands we praise will have a few basic (MXR, Boss) pedals that form the core of their sound, but they always seem to have one or two favorite modulation or delay type effects pedals that stand out on the board and are used to create the ultimate flavor of their sound. Any more than a couple just gets too overwhelming in a live context.

So yeah, a lot of rambling, but I agree... and disagree at the same time. ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    xcc and DonaldDemon like this.
  6. aisling

Well I "use" at least 60% of them, the rest is material disease, GAS, consumption, hoarding, sloth, and new toy psychology to pacify my self hatred that I ultimately wont make my "career" in music as I dreamt I would up to age 30, and have to go to work and support my family. At least I work in an industry (healthcare) that makes realistic difference (both positive and negative at times) in people's lives.

Gallery likes this.
  7. Gallery

Umm... with your Soundcloud being as impressive as it is, I don't think you need to explain or justify anything to anyone.

Personally, I could have written the exact same thing to describe myself (including the healthcare part), but I don't have a Soundcloud as impressive as yours to back it up.

aisling likes this.
  8. aisling

Thats so kind of you to have taken a listen and to give some feedback. Kind regards in all things creative, inspiring and prosperous. What aspect of healthcare you in? I'm in inpatient hospital nursing, though not at the bedside anymore, more in an administrative position.

9. Gallery

I’m in drug development. So not direct contact with the patient like you, but I’ve had the pleasure of being on development teams that have taken drugs from concept to market and watching them improve the lives of patient. One of my favorite experiences was a drug that we proved could add significant time to the lives of men with castration resistant prostate cancer. Not a cure, obviously, but giving them more time with their families when their prognosis was grim. It was emotionally rewarding being a part of that.

aisling likes this.
  10. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith Member

I really don’t think there’s a wrong way to pedalboard, especially in this day an age. I have a fairly even balance of timeless standards (boss, mxr,) boutique stuff, and super cheap Chinese clones. I think the range of cost on my board from cheapest to most expensive is like $29 to $350 lol

I’ll post a pic when my sunface arrives and my board is “complete”

just really hoping it is ready to ship before any more **** hits the fan that might cause a delay

Big shout out to those of you working in healthcare during these trying times! Stay safe and healthy!

11. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

12. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

How do you stop the RE-20 from affecting your sound when off? I've got one a friend lent me but I stopped using it as I could always hear it.

13. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I think what he meant was they don't tend to use boutique, hard to find effects pedals; they tend to use readily available workhorses that you can pop down the store to get if it craps out before a show. Amps are a different story.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on the Les Paul front: I've been going to sludge/stoner/doom gigs for 25 years and I would say Les Pauls aren't the most common guitar.

Gallery likes this.
  14. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Sleep you say? Check out his pedalboard here:

Although he does have some "different" pedals in there, which argues against my assertion.

I'm not saying band of these genres dont use Les Paul's, just that its not the "standard": in fact, I don't think there is a standard as I've seen everything from traditional Strats and teles through to EMG-loaded Explorers .

Gallery likes this.
  15. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

In my experience, the RE-20 works best when it has its own isolated power supply. It does not like being daisy-chained.

Also, I really like the Master Volume in the RE-20. Gives me the chance to turn up the amp and still have a way to make it bearable to the ears.

Matt Hooper likes this.
  16. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I bought a separate power supply especially for it and it's still "always on", I find.

17. Gallery

I don’t mean this in a bad way, but your favorite bands make up a very narrow subset of the broad muti-genre music that we are discussing here. I don’t think they are at all representative of the broad range of bands in this discussion. Additionally, some of those favorite bands have been known to slam their amps with a muff, a pretty standard pedal, to get their doomy sound. So, I guess I still disagree with you.

18. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

The real answer is buy the RV-500, or a true bypass loop. The preamp is always on, that just how it works, and the A/D conversion is a generation old now.

Doomrider78 likes this.
  19. Dusty Offski

Dusty Offski Member

That's kinda... not exactly what people were saying, btw.

Gallery likes this.
  20. Gallery

Good point. Now go make your own Doom thread and take your rude attitude there.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Pellecaster likes this.