1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Stones Sticky FIngers/Exile-era tones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by todd richman, Feb 3, 2006.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Hello to all. I am using Les Pauls with PAF's and a Nocaster Relic. I run into a plexized late 70's 4 input non-master volume Marshall. I also have a slew of D*A*M fuzzes. I am looking for either a pedal in production or someone to build a pedal for me that will emulate closely the tones on these albums-especially the rhythm tones. Other similar tones are on the Black Crowes Southern Harmony, Moneymaker, Amorica and 3 Snakes albums. Humble Pie Fillmore tones too! Suggestions please. I know the history of most of these tone and the whole tele into cranked tweed and blackface amps-I am looking for viable alternatives...

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

wheres No Code 5 when ya need him? :D

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

Great question because those are some of my favorite tones.

I do not yet have one, but I keep hearing that the BJF Honey Bee is the one to get for this style tone. I've been hemming and hawing about plunking down $270 on yet another drive pedal...

4. todd richman

Me too with the Honey Bee. Plus I like a more substantial pedal perhaps since the D*A*M stuff is all in the large box about the size of the original Colorsound pedals. More suggestions please...

5. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Forget pedals. If you look around for photos from those sessions, you'll see then-current Ampeg combos all over the place, esp. the 2x12 VT-22, and they were using the Ampeg stacks on tour. That said, there's a great 1x12 version from that era, essentially Ampeg's answer to the Deluxe Reverb, which will cop the sound. They're still in circulation for reasonable money, I suspect b/c of some of the oddball tubes they use in the preamp- you 'd have to buy NOS backups. They have very different low/mid balance at clip than either a Plexi or tweed type and outstanding reverb circuits. That's the sound you want.

6. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

I agree 100% Also look for a late 50s gibson GA-20 mine cops that sound really good.Oh yea forgot the stash and cases of whisky! :JAM

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

You're in to D*A*M stuff anyways so wh not give the Sonic Titan a go? I really liked it for od -tones. But I too reckon the boys above were right. Stones tones are amp tones...

8. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

They're great amps- I've rehabbed a handful of them- but more along the lines of the smaller Princeton/Deluxe tweeds than the Ampegs. The highs are very warm/rounded and there's lots of compression at clipping volumes, more of a Chess blues or Elmore James sound than early 70s Stones. One exception: Ry Cooder has used a GA-20 or 30 for at least 20 years as the preamp of his slide rig (converts the output to line level & runs the signal out to rack compression & mic pre), and based on some comments he's made in interviews, the unmodded combo is a likely candidate for his slide work on "Sister Morphine."

9. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

ampegs are a good candidate... I seem to remember reading that KR was using Twins for Exile...

The tones on Exile are a bit more clean than on Sticky Fingers...

I also seem to remember that the intro/rhythm tone on Can't you Hear me Knockin' was a P90 equipped SG Special into a Twin. You can never be sure if anyone, especially the artist remember what gear was used for those records... someone mentioned cases of whiskey... :D

10. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Adding to this, I do know that Keef favored/favors slaving a Champ and mic'ing it as well. If you can drive the Fenders you'll get real close on the grit.

But also, for both the SYMM/Crowes and those Stones tones, you're also talking about open tunings in some cases.

String gauge may also play a role, although I don't know what those are.

Jet

11. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

Good point on open tuning... really makes a difference..

12. d l x r e v e r b

d l x r e v e r b Member

As luck would have it, the Rolling Stones Signature Licks book/cd is within arms reach.

a) In early 70s Keith was playing primarily in Open G tuning. ( Guitar magazine articles have mentioned he often entirely removed the thick 6th string from the guitar ) . Depending on the song he would capo at the second or fourth fret , or not use a capo at all.
    Open G tuning is D G D G B D from the thick 6th string to the thin first string, using a G major chord's notes " G B D " from music theory.

b) Amps and guitars..... "In the early 70s, Richards continued to play Les Pauls ( Customs and Standards) but also could be seen with various Gibson 335s, Dan Armstrong guitars, and Fender Telecasters. These were often plugged into Ampeg V-4 amps onstage and small Fender or Ampeg amps in the studio. Keith's theory was smaller amps produce a bigger sound on record."

Seems like all of the replies and the instructional book are finding common ground.

13. todd richman

I guess my original question though is can I get a pedal to plug into the plexi with Pauls and Teles that will get me close t that small AMpeg or Fender amp sound? The Sonic Titan is something David Main and I have discussed but I am concerned it is too heavy as the few out there are in the hands of guys who do doom or stoner rock stuff-QOTSA, etc.

14. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Todd:
    I hate to say it, but I think you SHOULD definitely check out the BJF Honey Bee if you are trying to cop small amp tones from a big ol' amp. I know, the price tag turned me off for a long time. But I saved up, ordered one, and now can't imagine being without it. Just my $.02... I'd suggest biting the financial bullet and buying an HB.
    Also, have you talked to Dave at DAM about doing a custom OD to cop those tones? That might be another option, if he's up for the job. Aswe both know Dave makes top-shelf stuff :dude

15. todd richman

I am considering the HB still and I have sent a few emails to David discussing a hybrid Tweed/Ampeg VT-22 toned pedal. If anyone can do it -David Main can. He seems to be able to do any pedal possible. He is working on a pedal to replicate the front end of a Vox Conqueror which is the Sgt Pepper solid state Vox head with built in 3 way treble boost and distortion circuit. Another D*A*M customer posted to the D*A*M forum on the website and inquired about this and David sounds like he is taking on that challenge.

16. todd richman

Oh, anybody have a Honey Bee that I could try. I would return ship it fully insured through UPS, FedEx or Priority Mail. I am located in the Philadelphia suburbs.

17. playon

playon Supporting Member

It's not a pedal sound, it's a small amp cranked sound. I'm sure the BJF HB is an excellent pedal but it's still not going to sound exactly like a cranked tweed amp.

18. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Totally. I had a HB and I'd say this is true.

BTW, what small Ampeg amp are we talking about? Gemini I?

19. erksin

erksin Member

Geminis weren't that small wattage-wise (like 25-30 watts), probably a Jet if it was an Ampeg - killer little amps. IIRC, Mike Campbell used a Jet on Tom Petty's 'Running Down A Dream' - that's one pissed off sounding amp!