Stoopid GAS! 79 LP Pro Content

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by M@tt C, Jul 18, 2008.

1. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

I took a day off from work today, and decided to hit up some of the music stores up on the east side of Cleveland- hadn't been up there for a while, and the Sam Ash always had some cool used gear. I'm casually looking for a LP type guitar, and wanted to see what was out there

I stopped by the GC first- played a new LP Tradition (it was ok), a badly set up used Studio (virtually unplayable), a Tele Hot Rod (nice!), and a R8 (nice, but REALLY grimy feeling. ugh). Checked out one of the Vintage Mahogany LPS too (played ok, but had sharp fret ends- I hate that!)

Went down the street to the Sam Ash store. Messed with a Gretsch (cool, but not what I was looking for), a Trussart (MEGA cool vibe, but not for me), then I played IT. A 1979 LP Pro with P-90's. Holy mother of all that was good- that thing sounded amazing. Sustain out the wazoo, even unplugged. Clear and articulate with a delicious grind. Had some honest wear, but no abuse. Nice fret job too. The problem? It was about $1200 out of my price range!! 12 mos same as cash........my wallet was trembling!!!!!!

CURSE YOU GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. ?&!

?&! Member

That's funny, my buddy almost bought a black '79 LP Pro with P90s at the Puyallup, WA guitar show last weekend. The guy wanted $1750 for it, which was fair. That thing was AWESOME. I have a neck injury that made me switch from LPs to SGs (13 lb. guitars are no good for blown cervical discs), otherwise I would have been GASing for it myself. My suggestion is to cough up the extra $1200, 'cuz magical Gibsons are few and far between. Good luck!!!

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

The Pros are great guitars. Just a little different that your regular Deluxe what with the P90s and ebony fretboards. I have a '78 tobacco burst that is just super. Paid $750 for it about 6 years ago, thought it was a great deal.

[​IMG]

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Is that the going rate??????

Crap!!! I'll take one.

5. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

Wow, that's a really beautiful one!

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Sorry, make that 8 years ago I bought this guitar. Time flies :D

Thanks for looks, guys! I know we're helping MattC out doing this!

7. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

Bastids!!!!:BITCH

The GAS shall pass...I hope!