"Stop Cursing" - much more difficult than I would have guessed.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Johnny Moondog, Mar 15, 2017.

1. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

You've got a problem if your kids think "%$€%×£ chevy!" is actually a model. "My daddy drives a %$€%×£ chevy!"

2. Stike

Stike Member

Time and place for everything, most substitutions sound corny af.

A good friend was once complaining about his wife’s “excessive use of profanity” and how it wasn’t “ladylike”. I reminded him that neither were blowjobs...

LDS22 likes this.
  3. watchingme

watchingme Member

What will cure of that, is when your child lets one fly in front of someone you don't want hearing bad language. At least, that helped me tone it down, big time.

Johnny Moondog likes this.
  4. somecafone

somecafone Member

As @wahfreak said, maybe taking a look at the “root causes” (thx, Dr. Malfi) of your outbursts is in order.

I’ve long considered myself a two-legged Tarantino movie when it comes to language, but I do not have children.

5. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

I don’t curse, drink, smoke, or partake in drug, other than the occasional caffeine intake. I fully expect to explode in a fit of pent up rage any day now as a result. Keep cursing. It’s probably a good release valve.

6. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

**** trying to curse less. I'm going to make an honest ****ing effort to curse more. My goal is to use the words ****, ****, ****, ****, ****sucker, mother****er, and ******* in every sentence.

RhytmEarl likes this.
  7. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Somebody told me once that if you could stop cursing in particular situations, (mother, clergy, etc) then you can stop anytime you want.

8. loudboy

loudboy Member

One of my all-time favorite kid stories:

A work buddy of mine was sitting at the breakfast table, with his wife and 3YO son.

The cat jumps up on the table.

The kid looks at it and says - "Get off the table, you hairy c$&ksucker!"

My buddy cusses some, but never anything like that.

9. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

my daughter calls them, "Daddy words" and knows they are off limits... at least within earshot.

10. geddyentwistle

geddyentwistle Member

My previous band was loading in one night, and drummer usually had his kids assisting

The then 5ish boy, amazing fun and energetic, gets frustrated and says “&od damn @&cking &$it”....

I was humored but stunned, as was drummer dad, who stated with “where’d you hear that?!? “. Blah blah

Man, that was funny

11. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Years ago during my first year teaching high school, half the students in the very first class they gave me had behavioral disorders. 17-year-olds. Like 10 of them, plus 10 more rowdy kids. If I didn't keep them busy every second they'd be bouncing off walls, throwing stuff, and who knows what else. If there wasn't a crystal clear structure pandemonium would ensue.

One day I was trying to put them in groups and had them count off. Just as they were about to move into their groups I realized I had done the math wrong in my head beforehand and the groups were going to be all screwed up.

I closed my eyes, shook my head, and whispered "F**k!" to myself. One kid in the first row turned to the kid next to him and said, "Did you hear that?" The other one gleefully nodded with a big smile on his face and they both burst out laughing.

In their eyes I was cool after that, but I learned that my inner mouth had better not reveal itself in public anymore.

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Nah. I mean, curse, don't curse. No big deal. But whether one uses expletives or not is no reflection on that person's imagination, or intellect, or vocabulary, etc.

13. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I totally f***ing agree.

14. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

I was basically the reason for a swear jar at work for a while. I had to turn into Ned Flanders to keep from throwing money in it all the time.

15. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    My wife and I are both really working on curbing the profanity lately. We have a 17 month old son who is starting to talk more, and he picks up on everything. He mostly babbles, but we clearly heard him exclaim, "Oh s#!t!" one day after fell while trying to climb up on the sofa. My mom, who babysits for us, swears he's dropped the F bomb a few times. :facepalm. Just tonight I'm fairly certain he said, "No damnit!" when I said it was bed time. It really is difficult when it's sadly pretty much second nature.

16. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

Me, too.

17. A-Bone

I suspect it would be a very weak case. It sounds more like the kind of argument one might make to feel superior, and I'm not down with that idea.

I'm not sure "elevating one's thoughts" really means much of anything, either. What I'm really trying to convey is that expletives are like any other vocabulary ultimately. As to why one would use them, they can offer a particularly colorful form of colloquia that is appropriate to a situation, that is quite evocative, or that serves as a more perfect punctuation or intensifier to a given expression.

18. gigs

gigs Member

I switched from the really bad ones to ....

"Great Ceasar's Ghost" or "Great Googly Moogly"

Makes me laugh anyway.

2leod and fusionbear like this.
  19. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

Most of my cursing is done on the interstates. I've evolved into someone who can give R. Lee Ermey a run for his money.

[​IMG]

20. A-Bone

Isn't even a cagey, indirect reference ultimately going there? What I'm really trying to convey is that there are circumstances and occasions and uses where expletives just fit. I'm also puncturing the mistaken belief that their use reveals something about an individual's character, or that person's lack of imagination or vocabulary or whatever. Some profanity and expletive use is quite creative and imaginative. And some really intelligent and creative folks use profanity freely. That isn't a mark of their character. It's about personal style, much as with any use of vernacular.