Stop tail piece, wrapping strings around

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Traps, May 29, 2008.

1. Traps

Traps Member

I've seen folks wrap the strings around the tail piece, instead of threading them thru the holes in the piece itself.. What advantage does this serve?

Thanks

2. Ares

Ares Member

Everybody agrees that it reduces string tension,but apart from the previous point of agreement you ll find no other.Some claim it increases sustain and some that it reduces it.Others say it softens the attack,others.....
    According to my fingers and ears it slightly reduces sustain and alter the tone in a good for my tastes way(I dont know if more "open" tone is the words that describe what I got in mind).
    Try it,this is the only way to safe conclusions.You only got one set of strings to loose

3. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

:agree
    It seems to give chords more definition to me in addition to laying the strings across the bridge at a different angle. Especially good on a heavier guitar with an aluminum tail piece.

4. Traps

Traps Member

Understood.. I'll try it out... My other guitarist does it, I just havn't had a chance to ask him the story on it...

5. citiesLA

citiesLA Member

I do it because it reduces the angle that the strings hit the bridge. I find it has helped cut down on the amount of strings I break.

It's been ages since I switch it up so I can't really comment on the tone aesthetics. All I know is like it.

6. dzo

dzo Member

One of the benefits is that is enables you to crank your studs all the way down which is why some claim it increases sustain.

7. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

If you own several guitars like I do the wrapping can throw me off it all my guitars are wrapped the same though. It makes 11's feel almost like 9's.