Stop the insanity! (superheroes movies)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Shark Sandwich, May 5, 2015.

1. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I just got back from seeing the new Avengers movies with my sons (I really didn't want to go but they really did). Age of Ultron, huh? More like ultra-violent and ultra-confusing. Let's just add ultra-stupid and ultra-predictable while we're at it. I actually fell asleep for part of the movie.

Anyway when we got back my sons were showing me all the new superhero movies we can look forward to in the next couple of years (are you ready?): two more avengers, another captain america, thor, spider man 92, fantastic four, black panther (?), guardians of galaxy 2, x men, wolverine, aquaman, x force, wonder woman, 2 justice league movies, green lantern, ant man, batman v. superman, etc, etc. It's a never ending list of the same freaking movie you've already seen 20 times over. It's like a bad dream but when you wake up it's real. Is Hollywood really that artistically bankrupt? This crap is so far over the top it makes Star Trek seem factual. Give me a good 'ol simple movie from the golden age of hollywood that actually has dialogue and characters I care about. We have to stop supporting this sh*t or it's just going to keep going downhill. Rant off.

2. groove_king

groove_king Member

No-one's putting a gun to your head to watch these.

Some of them are actually very good movies (Avengers 1, Cap 2, Iron Man 1).

There are PLENTY of smaller, character-driven movies out there. Like music, one has to veer from the mainstream to find the deeper stuff. It's all good.

Now, I think there's a cloud outside that needs yelling at! :)

3. ford

ford Supporting Member

And overall audience reaction to this one has been very good.

I've seen it twice and its up there with Iron Man I, The Winter Soldier, The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy for me.

But it is understandably not for everyone. My kids both loved it.. luckily so did I and my wife.

4. guitz

guitz Member

re-calibrate yer expectations. They're based on comic books fer crissakes....don't go in expecting Shindlers List et al....remember the root word here..'comic'. 'Nuff said. :D

btw, the movies it SOUNDS like you enjoy, aren't probably ones your kids would want to sit through anyway, food for thought.

5. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

OP you've never been more wrong. We 're in a golden age of movies and these comic based films are simply spectacular.
    If may be however that you just don't like the genre. But the movies, for what they are, are absolutely stellar.

6. teledude55

teledude55 Member

Superhero crap has universal appeal Internationally; they make planeloads of money no matter how ridiculous they are. Hollywood is in the entertainment business, so long as people come to theaters to watch that crap they will keep churning it out.

7. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Yes, Hollywood is that artistically bankrupt.
    I go see these movies cos they are all I can stomach. That said, I enjoy them, taking them for what they are, and not having expectations beyond that. I see some pretty good jokes and some cool dialogue. THe endless action scenes can be a drag, but no worse than the traditional car chase in old Hollywood action, or endless tap-dancing in the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers era. Spaghetti westerns were pretty repetitive too, lots of galloping around the sage brush, bad shooting while hiding behind unlikely obstacles before settling in to eat some beans.

8. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I didnt think the Avengers I was very good, I dont really have any interest
    in seeing the 2nd one.

Some of the prospective movies, such as Wonder Woman, Luke Cage, and
    Black Panther, do sound good. I also read they may do a new movie of the
    Flash which might be good.

At some point these new offerings will consistently draw audiences more like
    the Green Lantern and the first Hulk movie, and when that happens studios
    will rethink some of the superhero movies.

9. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I agree. They are lazy franchises.

I find it strange how Spiderman has already rebooted from the Toby movies. We have had how many Batmen? Supermen? Are these to be serious? Campy?

But then again, I never was into comics....

10. teledude55

teledude55 Member

I went to film school at UCLA and none of the professors or visiting industry people had any love for this kind of film making. Hollywood is in the business of Risk Management now, they want the audiences to know exactly what they are getting when the go to the movies, this is also why there are so many remakes.

11. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

Win

12. Bankston

Bankston Member

I like comic book movies and even I'm getting bored with the genre.

That and alien invasion stories.

Bring on Star Wars.

13. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

They are fun escapism. Nothing more.

If they aren't your cup-o-tea......stop going :dunno

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Love comics & love the marvel universe. They're the ultimate popcorn flicks and a real thrill for fans of this genre.

The train ain't slowing down anytime soon so get your protests signs ready.

sent from a lonesome train on a lonesome track

15. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Hollywood has always been about mass appeal and mass profits. Their history has never changed.

Small and independent movies are being made and more frequently than before. Limited release flicks are still the default. Blockbusters have always been promoted strongly and built in audiences for franchise flicks is the main reason for reboots.

People want salty, so you give them plenty of salt.

sent from a lonesome train on a lonesome track

16. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

This superhero craze has been going on for a while. It's not a recent thing, although Marvel may well have hit the peak. This too shall pass.

17. Bozak

Bozak Member

I agree, they're pushing it, sure it's been super popular and not bad business to go for it, why not? everyone will go, but I think people will be getting burned out with this new crop of about 50 movies coming out in the next 24 months, I for one am getting done, I have almost no interest anymore, especially with all the reboots.

18. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Wow, just wow. First your post makes no sense because you say both that it's ultra-confusing and ultra-predictable. So you are confused by the predictable? What?

Then you make this post after willingly plopping down $40-$60 on a movie...therefore supporting the industry you rant about.

As long as these movies keep breaking $400M they will continue to be made b/c it's profitable.

Sorry they don't make Casablanca or Lawrence of Arabia anymore...

19. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I agree. There are a TON of small-budget / independent films being released right now; some of them very good.

Thanks to the primary source of distribution for these being online, we are no longer tied to theater releases to get a chance to watch them. It's good times for moviegoers, IMO. It's very easy to ignore blockbusters if they're not your thing, because now we have a myriad of other options.

20. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

OP, I agree wholeheartedly.

It's gotten seriously out of control. It's almost all there is to see nowadays. In contrast to many here, I'm young and even I'm tired of seeing an endless parade of these things being released in quick succession.

The tired argument that nobody is forcing me to see them makes no sense whatsoever and is quite dismissing of a very real gripe.

The below screenshot shows what's in the pipeline. I nearly barfed when I saw this. This is NOT normal and obviously, nobody will care about these movies 10 years from now. What's wrong with making movies based in reality. Movies like Shawshank Redemption probably couldn't be done today because of how ****** the industry is and how the powers that be believe that this crap is all that the public is interested in seeing now.

[​IMG]