1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

STOP THE PRESSES!!! Earthshattering Realization:

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by decay-o-caster, Jul 29, 2005.

1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

It helps to have a melody written BEFORE you start recording the vocals.

Wow - who knew?

:rolleyes:

2. elambo

elambo Member

Don't say that to a jazz scatter... Scattist...? One-Who-Scats. Otherwise, yeah, it kinda does help.

3. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

I remember reading about one artist is the 70's/80's who would compose the music, write the arrangements along with the melody line, record the whole thing....and then write the lyrics.

Can't remember the name but he did "Year of the Cat."

He said it was easier to write the lyrics after composing the music...sort of building a sound track and then fitting the lyrics....

4. joseph

joseph Member

I recorded around 8 songs on my home system, all instrumental, basically just to get up and running with the technique, etc.
    The best song (in other people's opinion) was the one where I composed a melody specifically to fit lyrics a friend had already written.

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I've had these lyrics going for a while, got the instrumental groove going over the last few weeks, finally realized the music and the lyrics were made for each other, so I edited the lyrics to fit the groove better. So last night I recorded the backing tracks, whipped out the mic, and realized I hadn't a clue HOW to sing the lyrics.

I could sort of hear them in my mind, but not well enough to sing them. Tried growling them, tried singing them, ??? Couldn't get the phrasing right, couldn't decide on a register to sing it in.

My considered opinion - all versions of what I sang last night before posting this SUCK!! :mad: :(

6. Brian D

Brian D Member

Al Stewart.