Stopped by Guitar Center today, saw the 2015 Gibsons.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by deadletteroffice, Nov 5, 2014.

1. CS'56

CS'56 Member

When opening this thread, I just saw the sticker on the back of the headstock. It had me laughing because it looks like some kind of joke or parody. The hologram sticker looks like it was technology from 30 years ago and he is waving hello to you! This looks like a good joke for April fools day but it's real.

2. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Can't you just take the Hologram Sticker off the Guitar if you don't like it :dude

I'm always thinking of smart stuff that others can't :bonk

3. airportbar

airportbar Member

It's under the clear.

4. ChopItUpBuryIt

ChopItUpBuryIt Active Member

Ahahahahahahaha, QFT!

5. Dale

Dale Member

It is to reduce the problem of copied guitars. Like the hologram on your driver license or money.

6. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I tend to agree. The real world is a very different place than an internet forum.

I've hung around here for entertainment for quite some time now. And even though there's a healthy sized membership, the number that weigh in regularly on this type of thread is certainly a miniscule sample of the guitar buying public. Not only that, but it seems dominated by the most conservative and traditional segment of that population. So it's pretty hard to get a feel for what's happening in the real world from this.

Take the Tronical tuning system as an example. I find it hard to believe this would be happening if sales of the Min-Etune equipped guitars hadn't been somewhat encouraging. Especially given the new nut/zero fret, which seems to have also resulted in the wider board. It's clearly an effort to eliminate the biggest potential problem with any tuning system: the less than perfectly cut traditional nut.

7. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

I kinda wonder if the Les-waving-at-you-from-the-beyond hologram is an anti-counterfeit thing. Ironically, it's probably harder to knock off the hologram sticker than it is to knock off an actual $4,000 guitar.

Yesterday I played a brand new Eastman 335 copy, $900 out the door at the most expensive store in town. It blew my frickin mind.

8. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Certainly a possibility. Cheaper than some sort of embedded chip or something. Personally I can't imagine that bothering me. I played one of the Juniors and I noted the headstock logo and the hologram. But once I start playing I forget all about that stuff and it becomes about sound and feel. Sure, I like the guitar to look good, especially strapped on. But those are small details that would barely show up in a performance photo. I'd much rather have that than the binding ledge that was on my CS V. I felt that every time I grabbed the neck.

9. Seth L

Seth L Member

That hologram looks like it came out of a box of Cracker Jacks.

10. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

I'm armchair quarterbacking but to me they could have made that hologram 1/4 the size it is with a more unassuming decoration and had the same effect. It's ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

Went to GC and played a bunch of LP's from $1700-$4000 some awesome some not so much,all were OVERPRICED!
    Came home bought a like new epi les paul tribute plus for $425 with case on ebay
    and am a very happy man!:cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

Good score! I picked up a used Epi SG G-400 last week for $175. It kicks ass. I've owned an R7 and a 1980 Les Paul Custom, and I'm as happy with this Epi as I was with those Gibsons. I tweak and modify everything, and honestly I can't think of one thing I want to do with this guitar. Maybe put stickers all over it, because hey why not? It was $175.

13. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

:D I have played one of those and for the $$$ it was amazing.
    The only thing it needed was different pu's but the newer epi's have ones with USA gibson 57 classics like my tribute has.
    Gibson makes a great guitar but the prices are insane anymore!

14. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

The new pricing makes no sense to me.

The Junior I played streets for $899. Worth every cent, probably more. Now obviously there's more to building a Standard than a Junior. But is it really worth over 4 times the price?. Thankfully I prefer the Juniors and Specials regardless of price. Truth is, I tend to like Gibsons for hollow and semi-hollow guitars other than Juniors and Specials. My solidbodies tend to be Fender style guitars. I wonder what will happen to the ES series in 2015.

15. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

to this point, no comment on the robo tuners, but as a tech i think the new nut is actually pretty good! it stays in tune with no maintenance from the likes of me way better than typical gibby nuts out of the box.

how do you guys feel about the new necks? they feel bizarrely wide to me, like a 7-string guitar with 6 strings on it, but are they appealing to the rest of you?

16. SciFlyer

SciFlyer Supporting Member

The necks are ridiculously wide. Not sure why they thought this would be an improvement.

17. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I agree about the nut. It's a smart design. As for the neck width, I still think it's somehow a product of the new nut. Either a miscommunication on the spec for the nut width or something, but it appears to me the nut dictates the wider board (and I don't see why it has to, had the nut been made narrower).

That said, I found no playability issues. I quickly forgot about it when playing one of the guitars. So no real harm, but not much benefit either since the string spacing is pretty much the same and all the extra width is just tacked on to the edges. Again, seems a solution to a construction problem rather than a feature to benefit anyone.

18. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I understand why they would want to make all these changes and go wide across all the models, almost like forcing it. It would be like Fender putting noiseless pickups, a Floyd Rose, and locking tuners on every one of their models. Not just one new model, but all of them.

19. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

Time for a Collings (and the like)!!
    The new classics.

20. pattste

pattste Member

Yes, because a company in China that can make a guitar that's similar enough to pass for a $2000 Gibson to the uninitiated surely can't make an hologram.