Stopped in to The music zoo in Roslyn, NY

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by direwolf, Nov 27, 2012.

1. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Not affiliated, had to kill an hour lunch. Cool place, the good stuff is up stairs.
    They let me try an R9, turns out I want one. The staff was nice.

Highlights:
    Single HB wraptail LP
    http://www.themusiczoo.com/custom/Gibson-Custom-Shop-Single-Pickup-Les-Paul-Info.php

The U-shaped 51 nocaster neck "no neck strats" are right up my alley.
    http://www.themusiczoo.com/custom/FenderNoNeckStratocaster_Info.php

4 piece 100 year old pine body tele, cool video about the Fender white falcon(chicken)
    http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/...0s-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-Vintage-Blonde/

Black Jazzy
    http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/...lectric-Guitar-Black-with-Matching-Headstock/

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. sinner

sinner Member

Cool, you didn't eat lunch but got GAS anyway!

3. BigAl

BigAl Member

Nice way to spend an hour during the middle of the day! The Music Zoo guys are great and I have bought several guitars from them over the years. I have not been out to the new Roslyn location but looking forward to getting there soon for a visit.

4. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

The perfect way to spend a lunch hour, if you can keep that plastic in your pocket......

5. CronoDL

CronoDL Member

They're also a great place to pick up parts like pots, bridges, saddles, etc. They have great selection and I've stopped there a few times when I didn't have the patience to order parts and wait for them to come.

6. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

That Pelham Blue 335 on their website is haunting me, in a good way. The price is a pretty penny, though.

7. KrisHayes

KrisHayes Member

This place is the ultimate candy store! Awesome.

Second CronoDL - whenever I have trouble hunting down a part, I always give them a call.

8. demea26

demea26 Member

I've been buying my zebra Burstbucker Pros from them for 55 shipped for sometime now. Great prices and good to deal with!

9. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

I e-mailed The Music Zoo on this 335...curiosity won over common sense...

10. amc

amc Member

when are they shipping it to you?

11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

That White Chicken Telecaster looks amazing.

12. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

I haven't bought it yet. I'm *trying* to hold out until after the holidays. I know my wife would come up with some high pressure questions on why there is a new blue guitar in the room, and sadly she knows that Gibsons aren't exactly cheap.

Though, I have a feeling she knows I'm on the hunt. Plus, she kind of mentioned in passing earlier this year about me getting a new guitar sometime soon or in the near future. Just waiting on the confirmed green light.

I just hope that this Pelham Blue one is an option when that light comes :)

I've been married two years and so far zero new guitars and only one new amp head/cab. Last new guitar I got was nearly five years ago :). I think I'm due :)

13. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

About 2 months ago, I spent a few hours there with a friend who was (at the time) considering a Les Paul purchase. He was a serious shopper, cash-in-pocket, ready to pull the tirgger on the right piece.

Pretty cool place, I liked the way they had their inventory on display, and the staff seemed pretty cool. But, honestly?, we didn't touch anything [Gibson] that wasn't begging for a setup. The pieces we played...every one...were pretty much in need of serious help. Many expensive pieces were just about unplayable. To be fair, Gibson can't set up a guitar to save their lives....but it seemed to us that all music zoo did was hang them on the wall. Zero attention to detail, from out POV.

Moreover, my buddy was interested in several specific pieces from their website that were not on display, and a girl had to schlep them from some warehouse up to the "Gibson room", only for us to take one fast look/feel & say "nope". Too heavy, too dead, too poorly set up to determine the quality......we kinda felt bad about asking her to get anything more for us. I mean, sure, "that's her job"..., but still.

All & all, not an experience that made me say "yeah!...this is my new store". I doubt I'll be back.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  14. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

All the guitars I picked up were out of tune, I used my smart phone tuner. The action on the R9 was high. I think the staff has unboxed so many amazing guitars they are jaded. They are probably to busy putting things on the web and shipping anywhere in the world to get too invested in the items. The guitars that are on the web site seem quite similar to the exact ones on the wall, impressive by todays standards.

15. teddys

teddys Member

I agree w Mark
    I have been to the Zoo several times and played a majority of their hanging stock.

Everything (mostly) I played was in dire need of a set up.

I think I would have dropped some cash if the guitars were "correct"

16. Willicat

Willicat Member

Good places always set up their instruments before they hang on the wall. Better places will even make adjustments while you wait on a new purchase.

Step Father is a Luthier, owns a shop on LI so I grew up in the store. Everything was set up before it hit the wall. You don't see that at Sam Ash & GC. Though most mom & pop shops do.

17. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Great guitar store. Tommy and his staff are good people.