Stoptail bridge vs wrapping strings over top

seth3

Hey,

Just out of curiosity, do you think that the practice of wrapping strings over the top of the tail piece

like this:

Is as good (or almost as good) as having a having a wraptail bridge

like this:

I keep hearing about the benefits of having a wraptail bridge and, as the owner of two guitars with standard Tune-O-Matics, I'd love to have a piece of the pie without buying a new guitar.

Dale

The reason you do it on a stop tail (most of the time) is to lower the tail to the body without the strings hitting the bridge. It may increase vibration transfer. It also is supposed to make the strings bend easier. I do not really notice a sound difference but it does seem easier to bend.

MarcJ

My experience with top wrapping a Les Paul is a slight increase in resonance when playing unplugged and going from .010's to .011-.049's with comfortable string tension.

Nico.

The reason you do it on a stop tail (most of the time) is to lower the tail to the body without the strings hitting the bridge. It may increase vibration transfer. It also is supposed to make the strings bend easier. I do not really notice a sound difference but it does seem easier to bend.

Will it need a slight tweak in setup after? Or can I just restring and try that?

eyeball987

Silver Supporting Member
The last 3 LP's I bought I just restrung them top wrapped and went with it. I check my intonation a few times per year but rarely need to make any changes.

gmann

Way back in the day I noticed Duane Allman did this on his Lesters, Billy Gibbons too. I didn't know why but figured they knew something I didn't. I've done it that way ever since. Why I like it now is I can put the stoptail all the way down snug to the body and my strings don't hit the back of the ABR-1. Not really sure I'm hearing the resonance some folks talk about but I do notice a decrease in string tension when I play. The strings feel a little slinkier, not alot but noticable. You could easily go fm .10's to .11's with this. worth tryin' and if you don't like it it's easily reversible.

jp1977

I have tried it a few times and like it. It in a way feels a bit like my lp jr with its wraparound but only as to how my hand feels resting on the bridge.

Trending Topics