Stoptail stringing?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mitch236, Jun 3, 2008.

1. mitch236

mitch236 Member

Recently I saw a LP that had the strings going over the stop tail on the way to the bridge instead of going through. What is the advantage of this?

2. Blind Rat

Blind Rat Member

It reduces the string angle over the bridge and eases some tuning problems and is kinder to the strings,I have this on some of my guitars I try to get the same angle as the one over the nut.

3. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

i tried to do the wraparound one time, it didnt hold tune as well...maybe it was a bad set of strings?

4. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I read recently in a Guitar mag (Guitar Player or World - one of the two) that it apparently also transfers more sound into the body and gives you a better sound. Don't know if it's true but I tried it on my Flying V straight away. Definitely doesn't sound any worse and there is less of an angle on the strings; so it's all good. The mag also said that it's on old trick that Jimmy Page and Billy Gibbons have both emplyed over the years.

5. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    I have used the same method on some of my tune-o-matic equipped guitars for years. It works well for me. And of course it's used on all guitars with a Leo Quan 'Badass' Bridge, and was stock on all Jr's, Melody Makers, and Specials. My tech says it puts less stress on the neck, and strings, and allows placement of the Stop bar lower (closer) to the body of the guitar, and he feels that transfers more of the string vibration to the wood! Seems to lessen string breakage also, but I pick (play) hard and still break a lot of strings. Always used the string breakage thing to justify having more guitars!! (as if I needed an excuse)
    :BluesBros