Storing a guitar for a couple of years... what to do?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by brans, Apr 7, 2008.

1. brans

brans Member

So I'm heading off to university this fall, and I won't be taking my '04 MIA Strat with me, as I don't really trust something that valuable in residence. It's going to be stored for at least one year, but possibly seven or eight depending on whether I travel after graduating.

What's the best way to store this guy? I was thinking of keeping it upright in its hardshell case in the closet of a climate controlled room. I've heard that keeping it tuned is best, but is there anything else I need to do? Should I add a humidifier like with acoustics?

Thanks a lot.

2. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

Tune down to C#. Leave it in the case. In a closet upright.

3. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

I've always wondered about the 'tune down to store' theory. I mean, if you were playing the guitar it'd be tuned to normal pitch, right? I would think tuning down then years later tuning back up would do more harm than good. What's the thought process behind that?

4. Bob V

Bob V Member

The idea is that keeping a guitar at pitch will hold it under tension, and that's a constant force or stress on the neck, so tuning down a little will minimize it but still keep it close to the circumstances it was made for.

I'd clean the strings first, they'll continue to corrode in the case. Come to think of it, clean everything since grime seems to get more stubborn over time.

The most important thing to remember is you have to be prepared to drop out before you ever ever think of selling it for tuition money. Lots of well educated folks now regret doing that since it's going to be worth bucks some day and besides that you will discover nostalgia and want to spend five figures on a twenty year old '04 Strat and your wife will divorce you.

5. VanR

VanR Senior Member

Can't tell you exactly what to do except to say I stored 2 Strats in my mother-in-laws spare bedroom for 3 years in the case, tuned to standard tuning, and when I retrieved them they were still in tune.

6. spacelord

spacelord Member

I got out of guitar for about 10 years, just lost interest for some screwy reason. :NUTS
    My MIA Strat survived just fine in the hardshell case. I didn't give it any preferential treatment.
    and now I have a 10+ year old guitar that looks like new!

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I think your worrying about it too much. An expensive Acoustic maybe........but a 04 strat!!? You could use it as a wedge on a bad bed leg post for 5 years and it would still play when you pulled it out! Toss it in the case in the closet upright, pull the clothes around the case and forget about it! Hell if it was me I'd take it to school. Guitars help score chicks. ;) And after 4 years think of all that natural relicing!:drink

8. brans

brans Member

No, this guitar is staying with me, I'd sell a kidney before I got rid of this. I'm still taking a guitar to school with me, just not this one. I figure my $200 Art & Lutherie classical would be less of a loss if something were to happen to it, and that way I won't be tempted to spend money on pedals or amps. :)

Thanks for all the help guys.

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

You make way too much sense. I don't think you are Gear Page material. :D