1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing Guitars in the Basement

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lfio710, Jul 31, 2020.

1. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

No, you're trying to argue a point that is easily found on the internet. Still waiting to see all these basement setups with accurate hygrometers with proper readings.

2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

mine have been here for 29 years. I wouldn't keep a pre war Martin out on a stand, but I don't have one. I do rely on the Dehumidifier Hygrometer to keep the room around 40 -50%. I've got no issues with cracking or bowing. My stuff gets gone over by a pro every couple of years, never any issues.
    You are correct that I don't have a scientific calibrated hygrometer. I have checked it with one of those La Crosse home weather stations that aslo does indoor humidity, they were reasonably close.
    The dehumidifier is on the back side of the marshalls. I only get half the basement. :)

I do keep my Martin in a case all winter, it's out in the family room from May - October. Usually my Seagull (laminate) is out on the stand in the basement

[​IMG]

tweedlux and chumbucket like this.
  3. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

40% is nice and comfy in the basement during the summertime.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  4. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

I dump mine once a day. I could run it into the slop sink. But I'm down there playing most days, and it's not all that difficult to go down and dump it.

5. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Thanks for the pic Tommy. As stated, unless the hygrometer is certified and calibrated, the humidity is likely to be far off from what the dehumidifier is reading. The dehumidifier can't dry that room out if it's behind a stack in the corner. No chance a non laminate acoustic or archtop would do well in your basement, which is what the OP is asking about.

6. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Do you have AC in the basement?

7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I'm in a100 yr old house with low ceiling unfinished dungeon basement like you..I run a dehumidifier 24 /7 in the Summer..don't have to in the Winter..most of my gear is in the basement. I'm in Minnesota

8. Julio Iguana

Julio Iguana Member

You got a multitude of answers. All helpful. Depending on your financial means (these have all been said): 1) get the guitars and cases off the floor. 2) replace sump pump as @doublescale1 said and replace every so many years (cheap compared to damage when (not if) it fails. 3) get dehumidifier and install drain (said previously; bypass bucket). That’s a solid start. Or move!

chumbucket likes this.
  9. chumbucket

If he's got a sump pump, he can just drain the dehumdifier into the sump well.

doublescale1 and Julio Iguana like this.
  10. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I've been living in my old 1928 bungalow since 1988.I always run a dehumidifier for 3 seasons down there and no mold ever. I even get a fair amount of water in there at certain times of the year. If I get water in the summer when it's dry I run the dehumidifiers until it's dry again and condensate stops coming out.
    Humidifiers don't last long for some reason. I have 5 down there right now that I have accumulated over the years because they just seem to quit working. BTW: I don't have central air.

Tommy Biggs and chumbucket like this.
  11. Julio Iguana

Julio Iguana Member

That is a definite possibility depending on location of sump (he said it was in opposite corner of basement) and avoiding a trip hazard.

chumbucket likes this.
  12. 21Hemispheres12

21Hemispheres12 Member

How is asking a question arguing a point? I was genuinely curious and was hoping you could explain it to me. Not everyone on the internet is constantly looking for an argument.

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

We have a two zone HVAC system that routinely (for many years) keeps humidity in the house at ~50% (40-50) in humid, muggy Virginia summers. :idea:dunno

The fact that I have minimal to no seasonal need to adjust instruments much (truss rods etc.) tells me that humidity is relatively stable and appropriate.

Using hygrometers from, e.g., Stew-Mac, etc. if you have better, do send one... :cool:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Tommy Biggs likes this.
  14. chumbucket

Julio Iguana likes this.
  15. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Most people oversize their system, and don't account for the heat the dehumidifier is creating. Using AC occasionally also causes humidity to bloom as the compressor does not have time to bring down the humidity. Keeping a room at a correct temp and humidity is expenive. The utility bill alone can be hundreds of dollars a month.

16. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

The StewMac hygrometers are junk. Not even close to accurate. I have a 4 zone hvac system that is top of the line that is not even remotely close to accurate on the humidity side of things.

17. Jon C

How, then, do you explain the remarkably stable consistent setups on numerous instruments from season to season (rarely need adjustment, then only minor) over 12+ years in a 4-season climate? Btw I don’t measure humidity (RH) on my hvac, so not sure what you mean.

:idea :knitting

What specific hygrometers meet your rigorously enforced standards?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    chumbucket likes this.
  18. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

User error... post up some pics of the hygrometer readings. Easy to say it, harder to prove it.

19. Jon C

how did I know you’d trot out that sad one ...

You know nothing about my experience or abilities but thanks for revealing so much (not in a good way) about yours. :cool:

Can you not recall the name of your super hygrometers? Vapor ware? :eek:

20. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Abbeon... NIST certified, and a datalogger...