1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing Guitars in the Basement

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lfio710, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

...you clearly do not understand the question. It’s not what *my* hygrometers may read. It’s what super duper hygrometers *you* vouch for as the expert on all things hygrometer.

What specific brand and model(s) hygrometer do you vouch for? It should not be complicated to answer...

edit ... there ya go, ya caught up. Honored to be with such cork sniffing certitude, with the side of arrogance, as you educate the riffraf. :aok

again, based on numerous years of numerous instruments living in my house, I believe the wood knows better than you whether and how comfortable it is, and it says it’s pretty happy with the current setup, reading 40-50% on my inferior instruments. :banana

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Actually you've revealed quite a bit about your knowledge re:humidity and musical instruments.

3. Jon C

You’re doing a great ignore list audition, lol...

Bertiman and Wombat like this.
  4. jturner

jturner Member

There is a concept known as sensible heat that relates to the perception of temperature, which changes with humidity levels (and vice-versa), so changes in temperature may cause the homeowner to perceive humidity differently, but an A/C system does not increase humidity. full stop. Oversized systems may short-cycle and fail to reduce humidity as much as a properly sized (and balanced system with appropriate returns) but bottom line - an A/C does not add water to the air. The only possible way I could see an AC system increasing humidity is due to equipment failure - a fresh-air makeup intake that has failed open and the system is so undersized (or outside air so saturated) that it can't condense the moisture out enough to keep up - but that's a separate issue.

1. If you're uncomfortable, so is your instrument.
    2. don't store your instruments in humid places.
    3. don't store your instruments in dry places.
    4. Same for very hot and very cold conditions.
    5. this goes double for acoustic instruments.
    6. and if you do anyway, don't change from one to the other.
    7. and if you do anyway, don't do so suddenly.
    8. this goes triple for acoustic instruments.
    9. and if you forget all the above, your local luthier will give you a $300-500 bill for crack repair to serve as a reminder.

5. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Except my perceived temperature is actually datalogged by a calibrated hygrometer.

6. RC Mike

RC Mike Member

Former USAF weather guy here. I have no worries about humidity in my basement. I just manage it.

I could do a wet bulb sling psychrometer reading down there, but my vast experience and training has proven my cheap hygrometer to be sufficient. There’s enough psychro in this thread already.:p

7. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

All of my musical equipment is in my basement with a dehumidifier for the summer months, it drains into my sump pump. My hydrometer usually reads about 55% RH. I don't even use a humidifier in the winter and while it's probably a good idea I have never had one issue yet, other than the typical minor truss rod tweaks at the start of summer/winter. I read so many dos and don'ts and strict guidelines like stated here but have never see had one issue here in the NE. Keep everything off the floor if possible and just be sensible about keeping them out of extreme conditions and changes. I know many guitarists that do less than me here and are fine.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. Ryan x Decent

Ryan x Decent Member

All my guitars are in the basement, it flooded last year but didn't get to them (the guitar rack is raised.) I have a small dehumidifier going nonstop, haven't noticed any issues with the guitars yet.

VirginiaAve likes this.
  9. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

I've bought three different brands of thermometer/ hygrometers that were all sub $15. One AcuRite, a Thermopro, and a LaCrosse.
    The max deviation between these three devices and two different dehumidifiers and their hygrometer reading has been 1%. Close enough for rock and roll.

tweedlux and Residentia like this.
  10. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

It could. I would not gamble.

I've got a sort of "walk out" that's basement on one side, weatherboards huge windows and a great view to the other side. It is pretty dry down there - I keep tools and machinery down there. I could keep solid body guitars there - amps maybe not.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  11. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Putting them down there but you would have to make sure the space had moving air that was of the right temperature and humidity. To just have the right temperature and humidity is not enough without moving air. You will end up with mold.

12. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

What I did was get a decent hygrometer(mine is analog and a prof in climatology verified it’s a good one), I then found where my dehumidifier was reading when compared to the good meter. I then defined the manual range tight to 45% on the analog meter (which was 36% to 38% on the dehumidifier. I check regularly for drift but it’s worked well for 3 years. I’m smack dab in the middle of the Great Lakes so even in a fully finished and with a very new central air system, the dehumidifier pulls a ton of water out of the air. I have it with a direct drain as I put a little drain receptacle on the wall to the cold room/sump pump room and it drains into the pump well. I’d be hesitant to let water collect in the tank as I collect so much that if I was out or away it would get super humid in a hurry when it maxed out the tank. I also have two active sump pumps in my well so I have a failsafe. In the winter I have an HRV with a digital humidity control. It’s shockingly accurate and I sit nicely at 45%. It’s not easy, but they can be in the basement safely.

13. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

It's weird. My guitars are in the basement and they seem to be just fine.

I run a dehumidifier. The basement is dry. I'm not going to turn it into a nerdy experiment.

John Quinn and Tommy Biggs like this.
  14. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Funny that a former weather guy would use the wrong tool to determine RH over extended periods. Doubtful you manage any humidity with that method unless you live in the same weather anomaly as Jon C.:rolleyes:

15. RC Mike

RC Mike Member

I’ve been using forums and BBSes since the late 1980s. It takes an awful lot to surprise me, and I thought I’d seen it all. Never could I have ever imagined someone being militant and abrasive about how others choose to measure humidity in their basements.

I do like that life can still surprise me. Thank you, RHboy! :D

Residentia and Tommy Biggs like this.
  16. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Honestly, I could care less what people do with their own guitars. However, when people spray about topics they know nothing about, I'll say my piece and defend it. I'm sure you know when the best time and weather for an aircraft to depart is but let's be honest, a former USAF weatherman really has no idea about the long term effects of RH/temp on various tonewood species or particular adhesives...
    RHboy

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  17. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Still waiting on those basement pics with 45% RH guys....

18. CassetteTape

CassetteTape Member

I don't know about dehumidifying, we do the opposite here.

These are great for measuring so you know what you're dealing with, I've bought many for different purposes and haven't had an issue with one. They show you the high/low temp and humidity over 24 hours.

EDIT - site won't let me post an amazon link, just search "AcuRite Humidity" and you'll find this for about $15

[​IMG]

VirginiaAve and EarleG like this.
  19. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Member

Mine are stored in a rack in a finished basement with central AC. They are happy :)

At a minimum, get a dehumidifier...

VirginiaAve likes this.
  20. Jon C

Nothing to prove here but if it matters to you... send $$$ :banana

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020