Stoutest new production 6V6?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Dec 23, 2005.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Title says it all really. Im looking for the 6V6 with the most clean headroom currently in production.Dont want to spend a lot for em. I wonder if they come graded? Thanks Bob

2. Shea

Shea Member

I haven't compared new 6V6s for clean headroom, but as far as handling high plate voltages goes, the JJ's look really good. I have a quad of them running at 450 - 460 volts, and they've shown no signs of trouble after about 10 hours of playing.

The EH 6V6s were supposed to be able to handle high voltages, but when I put a quad of those things in the same amp that currently has the JJs, their screens all lit up and failed as soon as I hit them with a good strong signal. Plus, they didn't sound quite like 6V6s. The breakup was softer, more like EL34s IMO.

Shea

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

JJ's all the way. I've had to go through all of that for my amps...

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Hmmm...After initially being put off by JJ's-(I found their ECC83s to be kind of dull while others raved about it)Im seeing they seem to have a lot of good tubes. I like their EL84's and the ECC803s a lot. Seems Im gonna see if this tube is a winner too! Thanks guys.

5. mainsale

mainsale Member

Sorry I'm late to the party but here's another vote for the JJ's!

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Another vote for the JJ 6V6S. Sounds like a small 6L6, handles high voltages, and in general, really tough to kill.

7. Swarty

Swarty Member

As for current production 6V6s there are not a lot of choices. As Shea mentioned, the EH has screen issues and the Chinese are worse. I've installed the JJs in several amps and if anything they are more stout than NOS. They don't have the roundish breakup characteristic of a typical 6V6, but they do deliver a great clean tone.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Cool. Thats perfect then. I want them to hold together and let the pre amp distortion do its thing!:BOUNCE

9. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

go in the under 400 plate volt bottom feeder pile (esp with screen protection)

I haven't tried the JJ 6v6's but dig their 7591's

10. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

I like JJs too - they are bigger tubes than typical 6V6s. They are a 6V6 for 6L6 lovers. Lots of headroom & they take high voltage. If you need headroom at the expense of a little 6V6 vibe, go for JJs, they are cheap.

You might also look at new production Tungsol 6V6s. They are creamier sounding, not as much headroom as JJs but more like a 6V6 should be, sparkly with a lot of presence. More headroom than Electro Harmonix and more 6V6 vibe than JJs. They are supposedly built the same as NOS Tungsol 6V6s which were built more sturdy than most 6V6s of the day. Expensive but worth noting nonetheless.

11. Shea

Shea Member

For what -- Ampeg? Fisher?

Shea

12. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I use only the JJ 6V6's in my original deluxe reverb. They give me the most clean headroom,best bass response,smooth top end and great note separation.I have a bunch of NOS matched sets of 6V6's and the JJ's give the deluxe enough punch and clean headroom to use at most gigs.I haven't used the tung sols but the 5881's are nice but more expensive than the JJ's.

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

A quad of JJ's is sceduled to arrive via fed Ex tommorrow. :>)