Straight ends on cables exist only for strats

wire-n-wood

Tin Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
After making the tele, Leo said (I assume), "I can't find the jack on the bottom edge of this thing... I'm gonna stick this ugly plate and hole on the face of the strat right here..." And thus was born the sole reason that cables are not all right-angle ends which is superior in every other situation.

wire-n-wood

Tin Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
It's pretty difficult to take a right angle cable out of a tele, actually.
I've gotta admit, you reminded me of the situation with teles. I have three tele style guitars, and they all have different jacks. One with a rounded, more shallow cup. The other two have flat plate jacks.

I reckon Leo Fender used up all of his genius with the other parts, and when he finally got to the jack, he was average.

Adagietto

Pending
Silver Supporting Member
Always used right angle on Strats, feed the cable between the strap and the guitar. Almost lays flat and out of the way.
Yep, works fine on mine — although not with all right-angle cables.

Edit: I just checked and it's actually my Tele that's more picky. American Stage right-angles work great on all of my guitars, including the Tele.

Last edited:

tubekingsley

Yep, works fine on mine — although not with all right-angle cables.
The jack plate/sleeves are not identical on all Strats. Some are deeper, and have a friendlier slope- they will accommodate most right angle plugs without it being too difficult to remove. With others, if you force the right angle plug in, it’s a nightmare to remove.
As was mentioned earlier, the actual shape of the right angle plug matters

RockDebris

It's pretty clear where this one is headed.

"Right! Besides Strats, Teles, other guitars with routed out input slots, amps, patchbays, effects and rack gear .. what has the Straight Cable End ever done for us?"

Brian+what+have+the+Romans.bmp

Adagietto

Pending
Silver Supporting Member
Angled plugs don't fit in my Tele - the cup is too deep. Very annoying. I have a workaround, but it's pretty kludgey.

Planet Waves American Stage cables fit my Baja Tele as the plugs have more clearance than some. Rutters (and probably others) make shallow jack cups.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
After making the tele, Leo said (I assume), "I can't find the jack on the bottom edge of this thing... I'm gonna stick this ugly plate and hole on the face of the strat right here..." And thus was born the sole reason that cables are not all right-angle ends which is superior in every other situation.
Lots of right angle cables don’t work with Teles with the old jack cups.

Top Bottom