Straight into an Amp or Through Stomp Boxes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tuco, Jun 9, 2008.

Do you prefer to plug straight into an amp or through stomp boxes?

1. Straight into an amp

2. Through at least one stomp box

3. Neither, I prefer to go straight into a board

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tuco

Tuco Member

Okay, which is your preference?

2. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

straight into the amp is great for messing around at the house but I need pedals for gigs.

3. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

It really depends on the gig. If I can afford to crank an amp to its sweet spot and only need clean and overdrive tones for the gig, I would surely go straight into the amp. However, it's impossible to avoid effects if I need delay, modulation, etc.

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Usually, I plug straight in but, it depends on the amp. Sometimes I'll use a boost/overdrive for a bit more kick.

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

plug straight in at home and rehearsal and very few stomps for the shows...Wah,Univibe,tuner sometimes a compressor if i'm playing w/ a band that has needs for clean tones.

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Recording: straight into amp (I feel I can always add effects through software)

Gigs: through the pedalboard. Live your tone doesn't matter as much, so I'd rather have a slightly muddier signal live and have a lot more effects to play with.

7. kingpinboogie

kingpinboogie Daphne My Girl Silver Supporting Member

Trem, delay, and a dirt box makes my job a little easier on gigs, but I can do a night straight into my amp, as I bet most of us have been caught flat footed down at the Dew Drop Inn a time or two...:drink

8. HHB

HHB Member

I've done both, I usually use pedals but on my jazz gigs it's just guitar and amp

9. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

I go through an RMC6 -> Fulltone 70 pedal

Thats it.

10. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

R9-->Picture Wah-->Korg Tuner-->Splawn Quickrod

That's as minimal as I get.

11. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Depends. I love going straight in to the amp - BUT 95% of the work I do requires some sort of FX, so it's ususally the pedalboard (9 or so pedals). I'm building a scaled down board that is simply - wah - fuzz/octavia - pedalflanger. Small, flexible, & sounds killer.

12. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I would prefer to go straight in, or maybe have a wah or a booster. But I usually gig with three or four pedals only. Two true bypass, two with buffers at the end of the chain. Seems to work pretty good. I'm using basic music store tweed cables with neutrik plugs. Not a ton of tone loss. But I love going straight into a cranked tube amp for most basic classic rock stuff. Plus you can simulate effects by playing the same note twice for an echo, flick the toggle switch for tremolo, rock the tone real fast for wah, use the volume knob for swells, set the volume of the neck to 5 and the bridge to 10 for a volume boost, etc. Not the same, but sometimes its worth it to maintain those sweet dynamics!

dk

13. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

most of the time straight in.. but I like a boost of some sort on occasion in front.

14. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Just a Cry Baby that is true bypass for all my amps with a loop.
    My Deluxe has a Zendrive,delay,chorus and the Cry Baby in front.
    At home straight in 95% of the time.

15. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Wow! I'm impressed with the honesty in this thread. I opened it expecting to find a couple pages of people swearing they only play through the amp with no effects or boosts.

I'm with B of H.. playing just the amp is fine at home but my gigs require more flexability. Not sure what I would do without my King of Tone pedal :eek:

16. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

My home set-up runs from guitar through a pedal board, tuner/wah/replex/rotosphere, but apart form the tuner, it gets minimal use.
    In my early days playing in band, I'm going straight to the amp, cos I want to have less to think about, and don't want to ambarrass myself by getting a tap-dance wrong, so I'm the od man out.
    If the band thing continues, and I get more experience, that will probably change.

17. Wayne

Wayne Member

At home, almost always straight in.

Jams and gigs; I add one, battery driven pedal which is a Danelectro Rock-A-Bye. It has OD/Dist and Delay and with the reverb of the amp, this is all I need for every situation. Since it is battery operated, it's just as easy as setting up an amp with a foot pedal to switch channels, etc. Great little box. I'm surprised more aren't made with OD and Delay in one, battery driven box.

BTW, I have played plenty of jams and some gigs with just guitar and amp, more for the challenge of it than anything.

18. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I go through a pedal board, but every pedal on that board is true bypass.

19. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Straight into the amp.

20. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Straight in there for me. My main amp has a tremolo circuit and my guitar has volume knobs which make great boost controls. That's enough for me.