Straight out of the box ...[nothing] , who has experienced this and which amp ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BryanMatthews, Sep 15, 2008.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Aint it a heart rendering situation, dude races home and the mail man has left that big box with the amp he has been impatiently waiting on to arrive or another guy drives home like he is on an indy track to open up that sealed box housing the new amp he is aching to plug into when he gets home as the demo model in the store has just blown his mind.

And each gets home , rips their new baby out of its packing , plugs it in and .......................silence , nada, not a peep, checks frantically saying to himself that he must have connected something up wrong and after a reconnect AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH the amp is as dead as a dodo and got to be sent off to an authorised service centre.

Or similarly , amp is switched on, guy plugs in and hits a few chords and "PHUMPH" the light goes out, volume dies to silence and heartache sets in.

Who has their heart ripped out by a new amp freshly removed from its box , what turned out to be wrong and what amp was it ?

Tell us your story ( get the tissues ready fellas )

2. bilbal

bilbal Member

I've got one for ya.

I ordered a brand new SLO that I have wanted since I foolishly traded one years ago for another amp I ended up hating. I came into a bit of cash and was finally able to afford it. So, I ordered it and about 2 weeks later it arrived at my doorstep. I was out of town for the weekend and it showed up on Saturday. I returned home on Sunday evening but was too tired to unpack it and play around so I decided to let it sit until Monday when I was better rested.

Monday came and I eagerly woke up early to try out my new amp. I unpacked it, set it up, turned the power on, turned the stand by off, and NADA. I redid everything again and still NADA!!!! I let it sit for an hour and tried to be cool but I couldn't. I redid everything again and still NADA!!!!! I finally called the place that I bought it from. He and I went through all possible things that could be wrong and still the amp was dead. I called the builder and spent about 45 minutes on the phone with him troubleshooting the amp. Still it was dead. I shipped it back to the builder and he found it was a wire that was shorting out on the chassis - a relatively minute, simple fix but to me it was crushing. I finally got the amp back and it has been sheer bliss since but what a nerve-racking experience I hope never to have to go through again. Michael and Bill at Soldano were absolute angels throughout this whole thing and made things right quickly. I can't say enough about both of them. They continue to answer an questions I have. I would not hesitate to do it all over again with Soldano - actually, I plan to very soon.

bilbal

3. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

something so simple , yet it nearly gives you a heart attack, I felt your pain just reading that.

4. Ascension

Ascension Member

Bought a Carvin Nomad new and the first night out it went up in smoke. Called Carvin and they said no problem sent out a UPS pickup and as soon as it was sent they sent me a replacement. I talked to them about wanting a bigger tone out of the combo so I paid the difference and went up to the 2/12 BellAir.
    Got the BellAir within 3 days unboxed the amp and only had played it for about 15 minuits and then heard a POP a sudden BUZZ and the amp lost power!! Needless to say I was quite peeved!! I got a full refund from Carvin no problem but WOW 2 in a row?? No more Vintage series Carvins for me!!
    I had played the MTS, X100B and a Vavemaster on the road and all those were bulletproof reliable but the Vintage series flat did not inspire confidence!!!

5. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Man, that is scary :huh