Straightening a bowed top

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by stevie_1973, Feb 9, 2006.

1. stevie_1973

stevie_1973 Guest

Hi there,

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong area but I thought it may be the best place for advice of this sort.
    If it belongs in another area please can a mod move?

I've got a 3/4" bookmatched set of flamed maple which is ready to be joined and glued to the back
    Both pieces have a slight bow in them across the width, approx 1/16"
    I've tried to straighten them by dampening them and resting heavy items on them and it has slightly improved.
    I'm sure with enough weight and clamping at glue time I can just force them flush with the back of the guitar but was wondering if anyone had any practical solution to cure the bow?

I didn't buy the halves pre-sawn, the original piece was 3" thick and I had 2" re-sawn and split, the bow occured the next day so I suspect it was either stacked badly or not fully dried

Thanks in advance

ww

2. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I would keep them 'stickered', with a decent amount (lots) of weight on them for a while longer, couple months, even. But, if it's only 1/16", you may not get 'em any closer.

How long ago did you re-saw the board? IF the wood is thoroughly dried, you may be okay to joint/join 'em & thickness sand flat.

3. stevie_1973

stevie_1973 Guest

Thanks chaps...

Sawed just a week ago.
    Slight crack developed along the bottom left edge of one of the halves post re-saw, so maybe not totally dry I guess, but a very beautiful flame, so will try anything to make these two work together.

Currently under pressure, with only cupped side wet, fingers crossed :)

Thanks again...

ww

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

If you don't have a large jointer, the best bet might be take them to a cabinet shop and let them joint the face, the plane parallel. Happens a lot after resawing. And be sure to never lay the pieces face down on any surface without stickering. One side will surely absorb moisture at a higher rate than the other, resulting un cupping.

Allan.

5. EVO

EVO Member

The same thing happened to me last year only it was a lot more than a 1/16 of an inch. It took a good couple of months before the bow came out of mine, but it came completely out so I didn't have to thickness sand it.
    [​IMG]