1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Straightening a bowed top

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by stevie_1973, Feb 9, 2006.

1. stevie_1973

stevie_1973 Guest

Hi there,

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong area but I thought it may be the best place for advice of this sort.
    If it belongs in another area please can a mod move?

I've got a 3/4" bookmatched set of flamed maple which is ready to be joined and glued to the back
    Both pieces have a slight bow in them across the width, approx 1/16"
    I've tried to straighten them by dampening them and resting heavy items on them and it has slightly improved.
    I'm sure with enough weight and clamping at glue time I can just force them flush with the back of the guitar but was wondering if anyone had any practical solution to cure the bow?

I didn't buy the halves pre-sawn, the original piece was 3" thick and I had 2" re-sawn and split, the bow occured the next day so I suspect it was either stacked badly or not fully dried

Thanks in advance

ww

2. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I would keep them 'stickered', with a decent amount (lots) of weight on them for a while longer, couple months, even. But, if it's only 1/16", you may not get 'em any closer.

How long ago did you re-saw the board? IF the wood is thoroughly dried, you may be okay to joint/join 'em & thickness sand flat.

3. stevie_1973

stevie_1973 Guest

Thanks chaps...

Sawed just a week ago.
    Slight crack developed along the bottom left edge of one of the halves post re-saw, so maybe not totally dry I guess, but a very beautiful flame, so will try anything to make these two work together.

Currently under pressure, with only cupped side wet, fingers crossed :)

Thanks again...

ww

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

If you don't have a large jointer, the best bet might be take them to a cabinet shop and let them joint the face, the plane parallel. Happens a lot after resawing. And be sure to never lay the pieces face down on any surface without stickering. One side will surely absorb moisture at a higher rate than the other, resulting un cupping.

Allan.

5. EVO

EVO Member

The same thing happened to me last year only it was a lot more than a 1/16 of an inch. It took a good couple of months before the bow came out of mine, but it came completely out so I didn't have to thickness sand it.
    [​IMG]