Straightening a slightly bowed Strat neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Petethekiller, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Petethekiller

Petethekiller Member

Is fully extended. Would this fix work? Fully loosen truss, remove neck, attach neck to a bench using two clamps until straight, check is straight with spirit level and apply a muffled hot iron on affected area. Leave for a night and reattach neck and adjust truss to desired relief? Or should I just give to a tech?

2. cardinal

cardinal Supporting Member

Before adding heat, I'd try loosening the rod, manually force the neck in the direction you want it (clamping seems like a good idea, I use my knee and that seems to work ok), and tighten the rod. Hopefully when you let go, the neck will be straight.

Petethekiller likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I did this to the next on my Mexican Fender bass, and it work, only I didn't tighten the truss rod again until the neck was back on the bass with strings on it.
    It seems to be holding now, but I've since switched to hanging it, whereas prior to heat treating it, I was putting it on a stand.

Petethekiller likes this.
  4. 202dy

202dy Member

Is fully extended?

5. Petethekiller

Petethekiller Member

yeah, can't get any more neck relief on it. Isn't bowed that much but the stripe is coming away 5th to 10th fret which suggests something is amiss.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

The local luthier tells me that heat treating will only last for a few months, and I can't refute that yet, since I only just did it to mine maybe two months back.
    It's worth a shot though, and saves you money if it works.

7. 202dy

202dy Member

The truss rod compresses the neck. The neck will bow toward the weaker portion. The neck is weak in the direction of the stripe.

Just so it's clear: Heat won't fix it. Nor will extra washers under the truss rod nut. Clamping the neck into the desired shape and tightening the truss rod nut won't fix it.

The problem is the skunk stripe. It needs to be glued.