• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Straigth vs Slant 4x12 to play in 10 ft of distance

Power7

Hi, in this month I will buy a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Traditional 4x12, but, I not know what type buy, Slant or Straigth. Always I play in 10 ft or 12 ft of distance of my amplifier, but, I played in a 2x12, never in a 4x12. For this reason, what type of cabinets you recommend me to play without problems and hear me clearly on stage?

Thanks for see, I hope your answer! =)

suparsonic

I've owned a lot of quads, both straight and angled. The angled cabs are better than the straight for me in every way. The angled cab is a lot easier to hear, the straight will just flap your pants and does not sound any better IMO.

somedude

I own a Recto slant and an Orange straight cab. I have a really hard time hearing the Orange cab clearly. I don't think I'll ever buy a straight cab again.

jondom22

Silver Supporting Member
Hi, in this month I will buy a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Traditional 4x12, but, I not know what type buy, Slant or Straigth. Always I play in 10 ft or 12 ft of distance of my amplifier, but, I played in a 2x12, never in a 4x12. For this reason, what type of cabinets you recommend me to play without problems and hear me clearly on stage?

Thanks for see, I hope your answer! =)
i play a 4x12 angled mesa road king cab and i usually have to stand about no more than 10 ft from it. u def should get angled so at least some of the sound waves carry towards your ears. imho, i also recommend putting it on top of a milk crate or 2 cos even with an angled cab, 4x12's slund really bassy up close because most of the air getting pushed by speaker is directed around your legs and waist, which kinda sucks for doing solos and leads and trying to hear your tone right

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe the OP would be better off with Two 2x12 cabinets.
Stack one on top of the other which would be almost like a 4X12 but i think would be better since your only 10ft away from it playing.
The bottom 2X12 would give you the bass reflex from sitting on the floor and the top 2X12 would be right at chest level but not directly in your face to make you go deaf from the direct blast.
One of my favorate setups for small clubs.

Power7

Maybe the OP would be better off with Two 2x12 cabinets.
Stack one on top of the other which would be almost like a 4X12 but i think would be better since your only 10ft away from it playing.
The bottom 2X12 would give you the bass reflex from sitting on the floor and the top 2X12 would be right at chest level but not directly in your face to make you go deaf from the direct blast.
One of my favorate setups for small clubs.
Sound good these idea, but, I not have much money, online 1000$ USD, 2 cabinets 2x12 are in 1250$ USD. I like the 4x12" cabinets.

Power7

i play a 4x12 angled mesa road king cab and i usually have to stand about no more than 10 ft from it. u def should get angled so at least some of the sound waves carry towards your ears. imho, i also recommend putting it on top of a milk crate or 2 cos even with an angled cab, 4x12's slund really bassy up close because most of the air getting pushed by speaker is directed around your legs and waist, which kinda sucks for doing solos and leads and trying to hear your tone right
Why the majority of persons use straigth cabinets and not slants? For example, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Mark Tremonti, etc. Why?

jondom22

Silver Supporting Member
Why the majority of persons use straigth cabinets and not slants? For example, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Mark Tremonti, etc. Why?
1) Most of those cabs on stage for those guys just stage props, not being used.

2) They're amps are being close mic'd through some of the best PA's and monitor systems and they are probably only hearing their tone from their monitors or in-ear headphone monitors.

Unless you are playing in a situation where you have very nice monitor/PA system that your cab is going into, then you need to be concerned with hearing your cab directly.

BTW - the cheap option is to just buy some V30's and stick them in a used cab, or find a used Mesa or Marshall cab with loaded V30's. (I picked up a 4x12 Mesa Road King slant cab in MINT shape for $350 on Craigslist, and they sell new for over $1000

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Why the majority of persons use straight cabinets and not slants? For example, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Mark Tremonti, etc. Why?
are any of those guys standing 8 feet from their cabs, relying on the stage volume to hear what they play?

are any of those guys standing 8 feet from their cabs, relying on the stage volume to hear what they play?
AND! Are they playing shows set up on the floor with the audience and not mic'd?

I'd get a slant if I had a choice of 4x12 to get..that is if I can't get both. ;D

Dave_C

Because they sound much better - bigger, fuller...and they don't suffer from the weird phase issues that slant cabs do. This topic has been raised before on TGP and the vast majority of folks who have tried both prefer straight. From what I have read, Jim Marshall preferred straight too and only built the slant cabs for cosmetic reasons.

Personally, I can't stand the blasting at my head that slants provide, so when I got back into owning a 4x12, I went straight and am glad I did!

suparsonic

Op wants to hear himself clearly, so as many have suggested a slant will do that. One more thing to add, a straight will project more off stage volume which will annoy the sound guy, a straight will spread the 'beam'.

lang.murphy

Nuther vote for slant... I like having the top drivers pointing at my head.

And this cab is deeper than "standard" slant cabs by an inch at top and bottom. And three inches taller. A tad "more" than standard cabs as a result... ;-)

Marshall 1960TV (Tall Vintage... tall, yes, vintage? Not so much... no such cab back in the day... Marshall taking some poetic license with the name...)

Hacksaw

Time Warped
For 10 feet I would vote a slant. I have both slants and straights. Around the house I use the slants. My straight cabs are in the corner getting dusty.

I don't mind them blasting at my head, unlike Dave-C. :D Around the house and if on a small stage I keep my highs in check.

Here is a cool thread someone did with votes.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/892363

Earplayer

i really think that straight cabs are the perfect quad. a good marshall 4x12 straight with g12m or v30 speakers is what i prefere. so do my favourite players (steve stevens, jimmy page, angus, malcolm, slash, etc.).

Power7

Ok, this is my situation . I play normally in scenarios to 10 ft of distance, but, not in concerts. But, when I play in a concerts is different, because the distance in the scenarios varies, not all scenarios are equal. For this reason I wish buy a cabinet 4x12" that I can hear me good in practice, normal events and big concerts. In the practice and my normal events the PA is not good, for this reason, I hear my sound through of my cabinet, in normal concerts and big concerts I have a good PA and I can hear me through of my cabinet and monitors.

This is my situation.

Hacksaw

Time Warped
i really think that straight cabs are the perfect quad. a good marshall 4x12 straight with g12m or v30 speakers is what i prefer. so do my favourite players (steve stevens, jimmy page, angus, malcolm, slash, etc.).
Ya the straights are nice on big stages. but man.. they blow below my waist on small ones. Slant for all around for me if had to choose.

Here's pete thorn and Steve stevens on a small stage on slant cabs.

OK real reason for post is due to being a Steve Stevens fan and the cute girl in the corner. :D

Trending Topics

Top Bottom