Strandberg's and Active PU's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mertay, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:46 AM.

1. mertay

mertay Member

Price's of these indo guitars for me isn't acceptable but must say I'm surprised how good Active PU's (fishman in this video, EMG's on other video's) sound with these guitars (atleast from the video's I watched).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:01 AM
    derekd likes this.
  2. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

What EMG pickups are you talking about?

mertay and Drawde like this.
  3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I'd really like to get my hands on that neck design.

I'm pretty intrigued by how it is shaped.

In the video, he keeps talking about how bright the instrument is. That would be a dealbreaker for me, but I'm sure that is going to vary from guitar to guitar.

4. Drawde

Drawde Member

I would consider mine pretty bright. Nothing a tone knob or treble knob on the amp doesn't solve though.

@derekd

derekd likes this.
  5. Drawde

Drawde Member

None of those guitars in the video have emgs as far as I know.

mertay likes this.
  6. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

I think the basswood version would be a little darker. I've owned one swamp ash guitar that I didn't keep for too long. Very bright and "snappy", almost strat like tones though it was a neck through body design with humbuckers.

derekd likes this.
  7. mertay

mertay Member

My tone comment wasn't specific to that video, I shared it for those interested in the indo ones if they follow the stores link. But the web does have many EMG tone examples...

8. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Drawde and mertay like this.
  9. mertay

mertay Member

Ok I edited :)

10. sxcustom

sxcustom Member

The 6 string Strandberg I played were surprisingly fun to play and for me it was a combination of neck shape and the fan of the frets that was cool. I expected it to throw me off but they were a hoot. YMMV.

big mike and derekd like this.
  11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I have fanned frets on my Dingwall bass and have played guitars in the past with fanned frets, so that doesn't bother me at all.

I am curious about that neck for both bass and guitar. I imagine a Bolden bass would be a ton of fun to play.

12. panther_king

panther_king Member

That's just your bias flaring up. Take two sniffs of nitro on a USA Gibson and call us in the morning for re-evaluation.

13. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Indonesian guitars are right up there with Japanese and some US made guitars. My new Washburn Idol is made over there and the fretwork and fit and finish is top notch.

Drawde likes this.
  14. mertay

mertay Member

I'm not against made in indo guitars (very good for the money) but 2500 for an indo guitar is news to me.

15. panther_king

panther_king Member

To be fair, you can get into the brand with a Standard for $1,500, which is a much easier price to swallow when compared to the time that the only way to get one was a $3,000 deposit on a 2 year wait list, with probably an extra $3-4k due when it's time to ship. Those guitars go for 10k now. So understandably, people were pumped when you could get them for $2,500 with no wait. They also hold their value ridiculously well thus far.

$1,500 isn't too far off where the high end Korean/Indonesian stuff from other companies are at now either.

mertay likes this.
  16. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Member

I just got my Boden Metal 7, in pear white, in today. Got it for $1,550 since it is a refurbished model. The only thing wrong with it is a bit of the finish is rough on the top side of the neck where the ebony meets the maple. I don't notice it at all and it's very difficult to see. It has Fishman Fluence Modern pickups in it and man, they are great sounding. Seriously, a truly great single coil tone when coil-tapped and there's two different voicings to the pickups that can be selected when either in humbucking or coil-tap mode, so there's in total 12 different configurations. The second voice in humbucking mode is very single-coil like, even before splitting.

Still in the honeymoon phase but man, great guitar with great pickups for me so far.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 10:40 PM
    J Factor likes this.
  17. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

After reading this thread I was looking at some strandbewrgs on Sweetwater's site, and the 6 strings list the nut width as 1.377"
    Is that correct?
    Because that seems awful skinny to me, and would be an instant dealbreaker

18. J Factor

J Factor Silver Supporting Member

The Strandberg site lists the string spread at the nut for their 6 string guitars (E-to-e string spacing) at 35mm/1.38".
    https://strandbergguitars.com/product/boden-original-6-natural/
    Sweetwater may be listing that in the spot for actual nut width, which is incorrect.

For reference I just checked three of mine with a ruler:
    -Ibanez AZ242F I get measurements of 35mm inside the E strings to 36mm on the outsides.
    -Ibanez S771, same 35mm inside 36mm outsides
    -Yamaha Revstar RS502, 35.5 inside 36.5 outsides

So this appears to be a completely normal range of measure in my small sample set. Having played two Strandberg Bodens, I can say the nut width/string spacing did not feel at all abnormal as compared to the many guitars I have played over the years.

xzacx, Brandon7s and freedom's door like this.
  19. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Thanks for the info. There is a store not too far from me that carries them, so at some point I should just go and check them out and see for myself how the neck feels.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 6:11 PM
  20. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I have three Strandbergs:
    As I noted in my Classic 6 NGD thread, despite its humble nation of origin, from a quality standpoint the Classic is the equal of my OS6 and close enough to the USA in most areas that matter. Considering that the OS6 was on display in the Strandberg booth at the 2016 NAMM show, I'd hardly say it's a dog.

I've had a fair number of in-person and online conversations with both Ola Strandberg and Ed Yoon (who spent a few years at Suhr after a couple decades with Fender). They are all about quality, both in design and execution. It's been impressive to see the evolution of the brand in the four years that I've been following them.

freedom's door likes this.