Strange Bakers...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Riscchip, May 17, 2005.

1. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Anyone know the story on these Bakers listed on GMW's site?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MOJO

MOJO Member

i believe they were incompleted guitars built by Gene Baker that were purchased by individuals during the original Baker "going out of business" auction.

LEE at GMW guitars completed the guitars by doing the finish and adding the hardware

are they "original" Bakers.. not exactly but it depends on your point of view... Gene and his guys did all the quality wood work and assembly and Lee is a quality finisher..i would say a good quality instrument especially if they can be had at a decent price

{Gene Baker is back in business,,by the way..under a new company name...)

link guys?

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

4. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

I think Mojo is on the right track. My guess would be the two correct shapes may have been non-completed Bakers sold at the auction (minus truss rod covers) and the LP is a GMW body glued to a Baker neck. One guy bought an entire rack of Baker necks at the auction, at least a dozen or more, then asked me afterwards if I could build the bodies for them:eek: . No thanks!
    I'm guessing Lee said "yes" to this one.
    Hopefully they aren't all total GMW knockoffs...I don't think that is too cool for Gene's sake.

Hmmm, I sure did a lot of "guessing" after rereading my post...what do I know? :(

5. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

That explanation certainly makes sense. I, for one, am pretty sure they aren't scratch-built knock-offs. That Les Paul with a Baker headstock is freakin' me out!

6. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Didn't Baker build a LP shaped guitar, the Crucible? Could that be it?

7. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

He did, but it didn't look like that.

8. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

I am a new owner of one of these "mystery" Bakers. The one with the beautiful Les Paul body. I just got it today in a trade with another TGP member. I have just gotten in from rehearsal and let me tell you, this guitar is FANTASTIC !!!! I'm not really taken to LP style guitars. Their body style and shape is not my cup of tea. But this one does it for me. I'm really happy.
    I've had/have a number of Gene's guitars and loved them all. This one is a little different to be sure. But it has it's own thing going on worth/worthy of it's own place in my little arsenal of fiddles.

Pete

9. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Guess what. . .I own the blue one. It was listed on ebay for a while, and I contacted the seller and traded a PRS McCarty for it from the guy who purchased it at the going out of business auction. It's correct, that Lee with GMW did finish the guitar, but I've never asked him just how much was him and how much was Gene. Anyway, the finish work is great and it's a real player. It's got a set of Duncans, 59 and JB and I'm thinking of switching them out for WCR's or Lollar Imperials. Why, oh why, do I mess with a good thing?

10. fatherjacques

fatherjacques Supporting Member

I agree with Pete. The guitar he got is FANTASTIC. I have own myself several (and very nice Baker) and the Guy that finish (buit?) this guitar is without any doubt excellent.:dude

11. snoopy1@isoc.ne

snoopy1@isoc.ne Silver Supporting Member

12. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

My brother and I have a number of Baker necks (and Korina bodies) from the auction. Haven't asked anybody to finish 'em up yet, but we've talked about doing a couple with a nice LP bodies.

The rosewood necks are nice, but the RF necks and the Ebony Inferno neck are unreal!

Gene did/does amazing work.

13. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I too dig the LP-ish Crucible. There's a pic of RF playing one on the Jing Chi Live recording - to my eye, that's one of the hippest takes on a LP-type that I've seen.

14. v-verb

v-verb Member

I talked to Lee last week. He said the LP guitar was already put together when he finished it. He was told it was purchased at the Baker auction.

I don't know who commisioned Lee to finish the guitar.

Lee was good to talk to BTW.

15. v-verb

v-verb Member

16. v-verb

v-verb Member

Bit of a mystery...:crazy nice brazilian board
    [​IMG]

17. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Ron. . .I bought the Blue one from the gent who purchased (actually traded a McCarty for it) it at the Bankruptcy sale. . .Jeff is his name and he goes by Calcustomaxe on ebay. I've never spoken to Lee about it, but Jeff said Lee just did the finish work. The guy who purchased a bunch of necks you're talking about is somebody else. He goes by GuitardudeJustin on ebay and has recently been selling several on ebay.

18. v-verb

v-verb Member

So any more speculation on the Les Paul bodied Baker?

Any more history on it - I would love to find out - PM me if you like.

Cheers

Nigel

19. meangene

meangene Member

I think Guitar Dude Justin (June bird) was one of our neck guys, actually he was the longest running Baker employee and the first guy I hired when we moved to Santa Maria, he was probably the only guy who could or actually worked in every department besides Gil and I. He mentioned to me recently that he just sold a few more necks on eBay so its gotta be him.

Theres a few crazed Frankenstien Baker's flying around out there and I still get people asking me to finish some of their kits but I'm so busy with getting b3 fiddles going that I have no interest in finishing of any of the left overs, why go backwards when we can move forward... But it is kinda cool to see what people have slapped together from what was started. Just be careful some stuff sold was meant to be bandsawed and never got that far, warped necks, oversanded fretboards, back shaped too thin, etc.... All that matters is that the guitar makes you happy and sounds good. I still get people asking me to authenticate some of the bizarre Franky offspring. Rock on my brethren!

20. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Good to see you here Gene!

The guy that bought the tall rack of necks definitely was NOT one of your employees. He seemed pretty clueless about guitar building...he did score that coffee maker for $2 though:p

Wow, I just realized that last post of mine was over a year ago....time flyin'

Ron