Strange guitar sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ollelolle, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ollelolle

ollelolle Member

2. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I've gotten that sound with every tremolo pedal which allows one to use a sawtooth wave (not triangle), a 100% depth and a really short rate.

I had to start reading manuals online in order to find the units which had sawtooth tremolo. I'm currently using the G1on.

3. ollelolle

ollelolle Member

What do you mean by sawtooth wave? I'm using a POD HD500X, if that is to any help...

4. ollelolle

ollelolle Member

Also, doesn't it sound like it has some sort of shimmer effect in it?

5. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Sounds like delay into tremolo to me, both synchronized.
    Could be possible with a 100% wet delay if a robot is doing a "tremolo" picking too. Because it sounds so damn perfect.

A lot of the post-rock guys used to abuse of that. Think of Mono, Mogwai, EITS and those bands.

6. ollelolle

ollelolle Member

Yes, tried that and it sounds right, but i can't get a hang on to what is making it so "bright-sounding", if you get my words?

7. weekend hippie

weekend hippie Member

Buy an Earthquaker Devices Afterneath! It will do this exact sound (given that we're talking about the 0:43 sound and not the tremolo before) perfectly. AND so much more!

8. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Tremolos vary the volume of the input signal using different waves. Not every tremolo effect has all the waveforms available to it.

[​IMG]

The sine wave has the volume gradually rise and fall, with no sharp attack or drop off.

The square wave has that "suddenly on, suddenly gone" sound.

The triangle wave has a knock of loud volume in the middel, not quite a sinuous as the sine wave.

The sawtooth sounds like a bunch of attacks right after the other, with the sound from the previous attack fading out entirely before the next.

And, just so you now, the ramp at slow speeds can let you do backwards-sounding playing.

Some tremolo effects don't have a dedicated sawtooth wave, but have a control which "skews" the loudest points sooner or later than the lowest points. If you skew the top points of the triangle wave to the left compared to the low points, the triangle wave approaches the shape of the sawtooth wave. I used to use the EHX Pulsar for sawtooth tremolo, but the rate didn't get as fast as I wanted. Skewing in the other direction for the ramp wave worked a treat, though!

The advantage to using tremolo for that kind of sound is that you don't have bleeding of a note you want to stop into the next note. Having the notes end and not bleed onward gives you really rhythmic, pulsing parts which are clean. Some examples are Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," the intro to the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter," and the Smith's "how Soon is Now." None of those would have sounded the same using a delay instead of a tremolo. In fact, the notes which change from pulse to pulse on "Gimme Shelter" wouldn't be possible at all with a delay.

As to whether or not that kind of tremolo exists on your HD 500... you're in a better position to find out than I am.

Good luck!

9. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

What an outstanding and informative response. You sir are a credit to TGP!

10. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

sounded like triplets being picked into a clean, bright amp.