Strange Harmonic Issue/Puzzle

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scottrolf, Mar 3, 2015.

1. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

This one has me stumped.

First off, I set up my Tele's neck relief, string height and attenuation to spec.

When I pluck/thumb the bottom E string's harmonic at the 12th fret (as I do during an attenuation check) I get this fret buzz sound. Also, if I pluck/thumb an open E (same string of course) I get this weird dual out of phase sounding harmonic. If I fret the string anywhere on the neck there is NO fret buzz sound. I say "fret buzz sound" only because it's not really a fret buzz but merely has that sound.

I don't get it. What could possibly be causing a string to react this way?
    Oh, and I did install new strings as well and I'm running this check un amplified.

2. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

Sometimes if there is no tension on the truss rod you can get weird buzzes and rattles. Also try muting all the other strings when you do your harmonic or open string test. The buzzing/out of phase harmonic could be coming from a different string.

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've had a fender neck with a loose truss rod do something like that. The truss rod turned out to be bad.

4. mhz88

mhz88 Member

If open string sound weird, check nut is what I always do first.

5. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

But it's just on that one string. Wouldn't the problem be consistent with all this strings?

6. ShadowCanAm

ShadowCanAm Member

Is the harmonic always an E ? If you play the E note on another string do you still get an E harmonic overtone ? If so, it could be built up metal stress ( like a car engine needs a harmonic balancer ) somewhere on the E saddle or part of the bridge. My superstrat was doing this with D notes on several strings and I traced it back to the D fine-tuner. A little bit of WD 40 on the exact spot fixed it.

7. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Me too. If you pluck the E very gently, does it still do the weird thing?

If not, you probably have a nut slot that's too big, or insufficient break angle over the nut.

Fender basses do this on the A string a lot.

8. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

Tune the string donwn to Eb or D and fret an E note to see if it's a resonance or mechanical issue.