Strange intonation issue.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jwnc, Feb 10, 2012.

1. jwnc

jwnc Member

Hi,

Just put a new pack of DR 10s on my carvin. All of a sudden I am noticing intonation issue. If I put the guitar in tune and do some chords at first position its fairly in tune. If I do a power chord at the 5th fret it sounds slightly out tune. If I press certain strings harder of spread the strings out I can get it in tune. But it kinda changes depending on where I am on the neck.

Could the strings themselves be doing? I never really noticed this until I put these strings on. I always use DR 10 so maybe a bad pack?

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Jason

2. kimock

kimock Member

Yeah, that sounds like a bad string, but likely just one of 'em giving you trouble.
    If you re-check your intonation you might be able to adjust around it.
    I get that occasionally with Pyramid flats, they're not super consistent set-to-set because they're hand wound, so you do have to chase 'em sometimes.

Sometimes you just have to replace that string. I've never seen or heard of an entire bad set.

3. jwnc

jwnc Member

Thanks.. I think it could be the D or G string doing it.. I will replace and see what happens.. thanks for the confirmation.

4. djg714

djg714 Member

You said DR strings? That's your answer.

5. jwnc

jwnc Member

Thanks.. it was a bad string or two.. I have used DR for years with very little issue, just a bad set I guess.

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I didn't want to say it but maybe so.

7. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Put a new set of D'addarios (or almost anything else) on and your troubles should be over.