1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Marshall 1987x issue

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jezzzz2003, Jun 4, 2006.

1. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Hi there,

I have never had a problem with my reissue Marshall in over 1 year of gigging with it but about a week ago I was trying out a new overdrive pedal when all of a sudden I heard a drop in volume followed by a burning smell.
    I quickly looked through the back grille and saw a tube really glowing colpletely orange.
    Switched it off immediately and had it checked with my tech.
    He found nothing and since then I have gigged with it twice without a hitch, tubes were replaced with Svetlana winged C two months ago.
    Does anyone know what may have caused this?
    Its these little things that keep you up at night...:cool:
    Thanks guys.

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

So the orange tube lived? Usually a red plate means a bias problem, but if your tech checked it out and found no cold solder joints or other intermittent stuff...enjoy it until it wacks out again. Carry a spare, if you can.

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

The Marshall's that I've seen have the bias circuit cleverly designed in such a manner that its not very likely the amplifier will lose bias. If it did I do believe both, or all four if so equipped, tubes would be glowing red. Catastrophic failures of power tubes seem to be higher in true power-pentodes (EL34) and my guess is that the one tube went bad. Throw it over your shoulder and get on with life.

DJ

4. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

You guys are legends!
    Thanks for your help.

5. sinner

sinner Member

I had a similiar problem with my 1987XL, playing pretty low and with a PowerBrake and lots of gain from pedals--and the sound suddenly got garbled, then the smoke came out from the back grill heading to the ceiling. I shut down and took it in. One bad power tube, no other damage--even checked the PowerBrake. Funny, the tubes were pretty new, not many hours of use, but since the change (and biasing) not had any other issues--and still using lots of pedals.