Strange "Whine" from Bogner Ecstasy Blue Pedal??

EchoGecko

I just got a used Ecstasy Blue pedal in the mail. Physically it's in excellent condition. I've already found a couple of great sounds in it too. But, when I switch to the variac mode, it introduces a significant high-pitched whine or squeal to the signal that is not present in any other mode. Strangely, when I engage the boost in variac, it goes away.

It's the only pedal in the chain right now (I didn't put in on the board just hooked it up to the amp) and it makes the sound regardless of a guitar being connected.

Anyone else experience this? I can't live with it.

cubistguitar

Some of the bogner pedals had noise issues, you might have one, maybe email into bogner and ask some questions

guitar29

Gold Supporting Member
Some of the bogner pedals had noise issues, you might have one, maybe email into bogner and ask some questions
They won't even acknowledge there's a problem. That's why I no longer own any Bogner pedals. I had an issue with my Red and 2 of the 3 GC had in stock had the exact same issue. They said they've never had a complaint. I did some online research and found many, many cases of others having the exact same problem. That being said, the Red sounded awesome, but the noise made the pedal totally useless to me.

cubistguitar

not cool, its obviously a defect, I know a local musician with noise problems with his red, I assumed bogner would take these complaints serious, as that is how you build brand confidence and bogner doesn't make junk, its 300 stinking dollars too

EchoGecko

Oh that's terrific. That is something I never expected to hear regarding Bogner. But I guess one should never buy into the self-projected image of a company (marketing).

I'll contact them to see what they say. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll help.

Can't help but think that the seller should have disclosed this issue.

Thanks for the replies.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
I remember a lot of this whenn they first came out; no one was very happy with Bogner's responses, if I remember correctly. I had a Blue and it worked fine, but I just never felt like was an organic part of my board. It sounded "cool" but sterile.

beforetone

Have not sent mine off yet. The variac has the squealing and it has sounded microphonic and the pedal just does not excite me anymore. I think it has lost some of it's drive.

EchoGecko

Battery worked fine...no whine. Still not the quietest pedal ever but not too bad. Strangest thing...I swapped to a different plug with the One Spot and no whine either.

shoepedals

Vendor
Sounds like my experience with the one spot and a bunch of different pedals. Its a switching supply and if you have any sort of charge pump in a pedal (or if the pedal doesn't draw a lot of current, or any number of other reasons) the one spot can introduce a high pitched whine. Usually a strong power filter inside a pedal defeats this problem but some pedal designs (like oscillating fuzzes for example) don't sound quite right with such a strong filter. I would try the pedal with like a voodoolabs supply if you have one.

PremiumPlus

What V said.
Sometimes if you add or remove a pedal from your board, the change in load on the power supply will create or remove noise issues, for that reason. You're essentially adding or removing filtering as you plug in different effects.

Trending Topics