Strap Lock recommendations

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by authen, Feb 24, 2008.

1. authen

authen Member

I just bought a new Epiphone LP Custom and the thing is heavy! I've never bothered with strap locks before and it's never been an issue but I really want to put them on this LP. What do you recommend? Has anyone had any bad/good luck with a particular brand?
    Thanks.

2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Schaller all the way.

3. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

+1! Nothing else goes on my guitars!

Jamie

4. abovethewave

abovethewave Member

i have put schallers on every guitar i've had!

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

I've put black Dunlops on all of my guitars, no problems.

6. pattste

pattste Member

Schaller for me, too.

7. trushack

trushack Member

Schallers. I have set that has been in use for at least 15 years now, and they still function as if they were brand new.

8. slegros

slegros Member

9. authen

authen Member

Do you use the stock screws that come with the Schallers?

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

In 45 years, I've never used strap locks on my own accord. At one point, in the 70s, I did put a washer on the strap button to hold the strap in place permanently, and my Setzer Sig came with strap locks. I don't like them. I used the washer because I used cheap straps that had wimpy thin leather ends back then. I've kept them on the Setzer because I can't bring myself to alter it from stock. I now use thick heavy duty leather straps and I don't jump around like a young punk rocker, so I see no point in them. YMMV and to each his/her own, and all of that stuff.

11. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

I normally grind down the head of the screws that come with the guitar, and also bore out the screw hole in the Schaller slightly to fit the larger screw.

I have no idea why Schaller don't use larger screws.

12. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    Shallers fo' sure, although I have some of those black Dunlops (twist to lock) on some of my SG's, and I tried some push to locks, in the 70's and darn near dropped my explorer .... Can't (or won't) remember who made those but if I see them, they scare me!!!!!! Shallers are stock on the Jimmy Page sig model, and never had any issues .........
    :BluesBros

13. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

14. pennylink

pennylink Member

For consistency sake I've been fitting Dunlop strap locks to my guitars ever since a Hamer I have came with them. I find it can be hard to disengage the strap button from the guitar sometimes and have therefore been considering switching to Schallers, hoping they might work smoother.

15. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The Shallers on all of mine! They work great, but like one poster already recommended I too use the screws that came on the guitar instead of the Shaller screw. Most times the Shaller screw is smaller, so just check that on install. I also use a thin film of Vaseline/Graphite mix on the contact points to lube them so they swing free and don't squeak. Also, I recommend you use thread locker on the nut that attatches them to your strap or the nut may loosen. Like anything else inspect them periodically to make sure nothing has loosened. But of all the others for me these consistently perform better for my needs. Safe, secure, and super easy to disconect the strap!
    Best Regards!

16. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Straplocks are one item that are a necessity IMO. I don't know how many times I caught my guitar before I started using them. I use a Sure-lock strap ~ it requires no mods to the guitar.

17. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Ive used Dunlops since they came out in the late seventies/early eighties. No problems. At least two of these sets are over 20 years old...no issues.

18. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I've been using Dunlops ever since I bought my first Hamer that came with them installed, and I have no problems with them whatsoever.

19. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Always have used Dunlops. Never had an issue with them, on any guitar I've had them on.

20. geetarman

geetarman Member

Another Schaller user.