Strap Locks for Gibson CC

Bluesman 82

I’ve recently bought a Gibson collector’s choice (#8) and I’d like to secure it with a strap lock.
Any recommendations for a strap lock, other than rubber stoppers, that doesn’t involve the removal of the original strap pins?

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
All my guitars get Schaller S-locks. Best in the business. No noise and they are extremely secure.
I used Schaller's for years...
Easy on and off S-Locks were great. Made it easy to put the guitar in the case at practice or the end of the night. :aok
Not gigging anymore and the Grolsch washers are $7 for a bag of 100. That's what I'd recommend if you are not gigging. :cool:

Only Lock I ever had fail was a Dunlop "duel lock" - the little ball bearings didn't engage and the pin slid out - I caught the headstock before it hit... Those are the only ones I'd recommend you skip... :anon

Guitarwiz007

Gold Supporting Member
Only Lock I ever had fail was a Dunlop "duel lock" - the little ball bearings didn't engage and the pin slid out - I caught the headstock before it hit... Those are the only ones I'd recommend you skip... :anon
I had the same thing happen on two guitars with the Dunlops I installed. NEVER again. Even the old Schallers are way better than the Dunlop version of straplocks.

exile1973

And yet another for S-locks. Found on my standard you need small for the neck button and standard for the back one. Changing the buttons not an issue and reversible with no sign it's been done.

Mike R.

I just get oversized strap buttons OR for the Dunlop Dual Design you can place your strap over the button and lock the connector portion into the button on its own - not attached to the strap end. It will never come off and the strap won't pop off the button.

Milkman

Gold Supporting Member
By the way, as a bit of a cost savings, you can simply buy enough of the Schaller strap knobs (the guitar portion of the design) to equip all of your guitars, and then just one set (or as many straps as you want to use) of the Strap portions.

billyguitar

I don't like to take the straps off of my guitars. I also like each guitar that I use much to have it's own strap. The Planet Waves straps with the built in locking device work well and being plastic they don't hurt the finish.

gunslinger

I use the regular Schaller.

nzb6qzirvomulaxljhrr.jpg

hippieboy

I just recently changed the big strap buttons on my Suhr to Schaller S, big improvement for me, my other guitar is a fender strat from 2006 that came with schallers, in 16 years they've never given me issues.

Enderlyn

Edit: Missed the bit about not removing the original pins. Leaving the rest here in case anyone is looking for straplocks that use the thicker #8 screws.

I put MojoAxe‘s version of Schaller strap locks on mine: http://www.mojoaxe.com/

The buttons are made to fit the #8 screw size Gibson uses on the Custom Shop Les Pauls (they may use it on the USA ones too, not sure). Standard Schaller buttons won’t accommodate the screw. This way you won’t have to fill and re-drill.

You will need to use the included screws though, as they have a slightly smaller screw head in order to fit inside the button. Also recommend a little LokTite on the screws.

Last edited:

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve used these for at least 10 years and have never had a problem:

e-string

Don't know why these aren't more popular, no mods whatsoever to guitar or strap, I'd trust them with anything short of obvious intentional risk, spin tricks or whatnot.

Milkman

Gold Supporting Member
I don't like to take the straps off of my guitars. I also like each guitar that I use much to have it's own strap. The Planet Waves straps with the built in locking device work well and being plastic they don't hurt the finish.

I can understand that.

This is a $0.50 solution.

Drill holes in 2 quarters, remove the strap knobs and then, using the original screws (no permanent mods for those who give a **** about that) place the quarters on the outside of the strap and screw them back onto the guitar. Felt pads can protect the finish if that's a concern.

The only drawback is that your case has to be big enough to accomodate the strap staying on the guitar.

I call it the Coin 'O the Realm system. It has never failed me.

IMG_0504 (1).JPG

Top Bottom