Strap locks on a Gibson R9 Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rango, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

Strap locks on a Historic [​IMG]

So how many of you guy run strap locks on your Historic, any conventional wisdom? I have Schaller's on most of my other guitars and playing without them make me NERVOUS. [​IMG]

Ya, I bought this to play! [​IMG] Hell I'll Gig it if I can get with another band [​IMG] [​IMG]

I know when I put them on my Slash Epi I had issues with the screws fitting. They were too lose in the holes so I bought some bigger screws and drilled out the Schaller's/sanded the screw heads to fit. Real PITA. [​IMG] But if that's what it takes... [​IMG]

I'm wondering before I start... I'd like to have everything on hand when I do it... Did the screws that came with the Schaller's fit tightly? I had one guy tell me he filled the holes with "No Nails", I've heard of guys using toothpicks.

Posting to see if there's an option that doesn't take such messures? [​IMG]

With all the aftermarket stuff that's out there you'd think somebody would make a - Perfect fit - direct replacement? [​IMG]

2. HaroldoftheRock

HaroldoftheRock Member

I personally use the dunlops. I like that it has a pin that goes into the center of the button rather than having the horseshoe connection. I've had the schaller horseshoes come undone on heavier guitars. With the Dunlops, they come with longer screws that really hold tight IMHO. When I sell the guitar, I use the toothpick method to get the hole tight again for the originals with good results. I'm with you, I play the crap out of my historic and didn't buy it for collector value. Great guitars when you get them set up right.

3. Ridethe335

Ridethe335 Member

grolsch beer rubber rings.

4. RSRD

RSRD Member

I use schallers on my historics in the past and have them on my current R0. Love em but you are right you will have to put a toothpick in for the bottom screw. Not for the top. Dont know why!! but thats how its always worked for me.

Once in I rock the sh*t out of my lester :dude

5. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Yessir!

6. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

I use Schallers on all my guitars. For the Gibsons, I'll use the original screws, but stick the bottom screw in a drill and file the outer edge of the head down until it fits in the center of the strap button. That's much more stable than using the teeny screw that Schallers ship with, that's really for Fender guitars. I think sometimes it's also necessary to drill out the center hole in the strap button a little to fit that bottom screw too, but doing that leaves a much stronger attachment.

7. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I have ALWAYS used strap locks on Les Pauls! Better safe than sorry with those axes.

8. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I was skeptical about these but now I'm hooked. They are killer, you can get 100 of them for 8 bucks
    http://www.amazon.com/BrewCraft-Grolsch-Bottle-Replacement-Washers/dp/B004NXUJ06

I had used Dunlop (still do on 1) locks for 15 years and never realized that I disliked how far away the guitar was to the strap. With the Grolsch, the strap is right on the guitar.

9. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

+10000 for the beer washers. no-brainer. You can buy a 100pk bag on Ebay for like $10.

10. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

Save the original button. Use the Schaller button with the orginal screw. Put the Schaller button in a vice (lightly tightened). Drill out a little of the inside bowl of the Schaller button until you get a flush fit with the screw head. Works well and doesn't take much time.

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

You can buy black rubber washers at any Mom & Pop hardware store, and you don't have to buy a hundred....:rotflmao

I use Schallers...

12. zastruga

zastruga Member

This ^^^ Schallers and toothpicks.

The toothpick does the trick when screws are a bit too small. I also always put a touch of wood-glue to keep the screw from backing out slowly. Never had any problems this way and I've done it to all of my gigging guitars (10+)

13. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

14. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

Every guitar I own (except my Gretsch) gets Fender/Schaller strap locks the day they arrive at my house. :aok

15. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

beer bottle washers have been used for years because they're cheap, they're easy to use, you don't have to change or modify a dang thang, and best of all they work!

16. b2sc

b2sc Member

I use Dunlops. I typically get a dozen screws of the same pitch and diameter as the originals. I grind down the heads on a grinding wheel to fit inside the button.

The screws seat deeper within the Dunlop (or Schaller) buttons than the originals.

So, you've got longer penetration/contact that's the same diameter. When you sell the guitar, you can reinstall the orignal buttons and screws.

17. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I'd always used Dunlops, (30 years, 8 or 10 guitars) but now I use Grolsch. I didn't replace anything, but everything new gets the red rubber washer.
    But definitely some locking mechanism.

18. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I'd heard about the Grolsch washer. When I saw how small the button was on the R9 I didn't think it would work. Been a while since I had a Grolsch....sounds like a trip trip to the liquor Store is in order! [​IMG]

"Honey, I'm going to the Liquor Store to get some Guitar Parts, be right back"[​IMG]

Tried the Dunnlops but didn't like them...they were the "Duel" action or something like that... They just looked like they were way off the guitar and I didn't like the leverage they put on the screw... That said, I've got a friend that loves'm and traded me for a set of Schallers - he dislikes them! :huh ;)

I think I'll do the Grolsh washer for the short term. Then get a spare set of screws(and felts) and turn the heads down as suggested, to get Schallers on it. I like having them because I can grab any of my straps and use it with any guitar....[​IMG]

Thanks for all the replies! [​IMG]

I can't believe somebody at Schaller doesn't provide a proper solution? "Schaller for Les Paul"[​IMG]

19. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

So I went home for lunch and remembered I had ONE Grolsch in the Beer Fridge... :idea
    Grabbed the only strap I have that doesn't have Schaller's on it...

Wa'da ya know! Works great! :cool:

[​IMG]

20. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Schallers (actually I prefer Dunlops but stick with what you use) and Toothpicks + Elmer's