Straplock and Polish help please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rapmaster, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

Hi,

I took a look at the fretboard on my R7 Custom and noticed some gunk building up next to the frets. What do you guys suggest I use to clean it? I was thinking about buying Dunlop's formula 65 system. Would you guys suggest anything over this?

Also, are there any straplock systems that I can use with the R7 without drilling or modification?

2. 777

777 Member

3. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Start with a clean rag and press thumbnail into crevice of fret and fretboard. A SMALL amount of lemon oil may help loosen tougher dirt,

Really tough caked in dirt can be removed carefully with the scraping action of a smaller metal rule. Be gentle. Do not scratch the wood or frets. Polish after gently with 0000 steel wool. You rub the wool back and forth in the direction of the fret. When done, burnish marks from this can be removed by rubbing up and down the neck, over the frets. Taken from Guitar Player Repair Guide, by Dan Erlewine.

If you keep your board clean, this won't be necessary.

You don't want that oil/dirt caked on mixture weeping into the wood around the frets. Slots for frets make end grain. End grain soaks up this mixture and can rot the wood.

FOUR ZERO Steel wool only.

4. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Is the gunk build up very serious?

Usually for semi heavy build up I would use some extremely fine steel wool to buff that stuff off and then go over with some fretboard doctor to moisturize the board back to its original state. But not too much fretboard oil, rosewood in itself is already very oily. I use a cotton bud or a Qtip to apply it.

I've heard stories of frets coming loose due to over zealous oiling.

Another method you can use is to use lighter fluid or naptha to clean off the gunk. IMHO it will not do damage to the board because it evaporates very fast. But once again do it in moderation. The naptha can have a drying effect on the board so usually I would use some fretboard oil after that too.

But please don't take my word for it, I'm by no means an expert; just sharing what I have learnt from books and what works for me.

There are far more experienced guys here and I'm sure someone wil chime in with a good solution.

As for strap locks I used the Schaller straplocks, you can find them here.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardwar..._buttons/1/Schaller_Strap_Security_Locks.html

They require very little modification, a simple changing of screws. Sometimes however the screws can be too small for the existing holes in the guitar body. I use some splintered toothpicks and wood glue to compensate if necessary. Works exceptionally well.

5. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

Ok thanks guys

The fretboard is ebony, is lemon oil still ok to use?

6. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

This imho is the very best.
    http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

I didn't buy into all the hype at first when this caused quite a stir on the boards. Loads of folks swear by these now. A buddy of mine and fellow TGP'er Benster bought a bottle and I managed to scab some off him...the best fretboard oil I've used thus far.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

It's the only stuff I use. I learned about it from the esteemed Phil Jacoby (Philtone), as it's the only stuff he'll use. If Phil says it's the best, it is.

8. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I learnt it from the folks here on TGP!

I used to use regular lemon oil which could be purchased at hardware stores etc, I believe the brand was old english. Short term it worked fine, but when I read about all the nasty things the additives in the oil could do I bought fretboard doctor instead.

Great stuff, no turning back ever since.

The stuff is so good I probably use about 5-6 drops in one sitting, and one application an last a loooooong time.

9. jbird

jbird Member

Ya think someone might offer a strap lock kit for Gibsons, with the correct sized screws! I installed Dunlops on my new to me 1st Les Paul, thought it was weird the two original screws are different sizes, and neither the same as the supplied Dunlops! With a little soap on the threads, it helped the smaller upper bout one, with the lower one, had to add a toothpick and glue! BTW, for fretboard treatment, I swear by Gerlitz!

10. guitarfish

guitarfish Member