Straplock Dilemmae

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 22Top, Sep 10, 2008.

1. 22Top

22Top Member

I have a couple of sets of Schaller chromes that I was planning on putting into a Hwy1 Tele, and my R7. I tried the tele, to find that the screw holding the butt end strap pin was changed to one with a much larger diameter, so I just put the one in, and was thinknig of using some liquid wood or something so that I can sink a smaller bore screw, as the 'aftermarket' screw I found in there will not fit through the hole of the new schaller button.

When I went to put the other set of schallers into my R7, I found the same situation... except that the R7 is new. I don't really want to put any mods into the wood in order to put the narrower screw in.

Is it possible to drill out the hole in the Schaller button??? I have no vice, and only a cordless drill for tools.

Any other ideas????

Is this an 'accuracy' feature of the R7... that the strap button screws are of different diameters??? That's getting pretty accurate I gather!

Thanks,
    Jarek

2. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

What I always do in this scenario is put a toothpick or two in there and break them off flush. Then just use the schaller screws and toothpicks will take up the slack. And before I slide the toothpick(s) in, I also usually dab the ends with Elmer's glue. Just a little though.

Hope that helps.

3. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

I hate to say it but maybe try the dunlops instead. I think Schaller's design is more sound (imo, ymmv ect) but I got sick of never being able to buy just the buttons. I finally started buying Dunlops and they use a much larger screw than the Schallers. I could never use them on my LP's (the schallers) for the same reason.

That being said, I wouldn't trust hanging a 8lb+ LP off something with toothpicks making up the difference. Its just a personal thing as a career woodworker who has always overbuilt.

4. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

You can drill out the Schallers, I did it to a couple of my guitars.

6. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

I know you said it was a personal thing BUT, as a contractor and yes I've ran a cabinet shop too, I've never had this remedy come undone before as long as I use a little Elmer's. But I have had to re-tighten factory Fender/Gibson strap buttons.
    Also the toothpicks need to be the round ones. And if you want hardwood, I think they sell hickory toothpicks too.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you'll also need to turn down the screw head on that gibson's back button screw so it will fit down into the straplock button. just chuck the screw into that drill, and hold the screw head against a grinder or belt sander while slowly turning it with the drill. (i do this all the time, as all gibsons have that big back strap button screw.)

8. walterw

there was a long thread here a while back about fixing strat neck screw holes, where it was tested (by the much-missed john phillips) and confirmed that jamming toothpicks slathered with wood glue in the hole and then cranking the screw right in was actually the strongest fix, as well as the easiest.

9. 22Top

22Top Member

interesting. Would you say that the toothpick method is reversible?

10. walterw

"reversible"? you mean like if you wanted to "re-strip out" the hole?

11. justonwo

justonwo Member

There is a thread called "installing straplocks on a les Paul" over on the LPF that is the BEST and most non-hokey way of doing things. I would provide a link but I'm using my iPhone. Just search for that title. Trust me.

12. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

If you go to replace the larger original and it doesn't fit, slightly reem it out with the appropriate drill bit for that size screw.

13. 22Top

22Top Member

perfect! Thanks folks!

14. GDking

GDking Member

Jimmy page uses them on his real 59 burst I am sure he has needed the toothpick method by now :)

It really works well man tight as anything.. I dip the toothpicks in elmer's glue works like a charm even on basswood and I play pretty actively and I have never even had to tighten them a little bit, though I do check them regularly whenever I change strings and no slop. I have changed the buttons once and the holes were still great (this is after like 2 years) tight as ever.

15. pennylink

pennylink Member

Yep, that's the way to do it. Don't wait for the wood glue to dry as it won't bond to the metal screw anyway and the pressure of the screw will ensure a stronger wood to wood bond. If you overdo it on glue and it seeps out as you're tightening the screw just clean it up with a damp cloth.

I have built a lot of furniture in my days and you'd be amazed how strong a wood to wood bond can be using wood glue and a clamp or pressure (while it's drying), even if it happens to be toothpicks you're using!

16. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Hickory toothpicks will definitely darken your tone.

NO! KIDDING!

I've used the toothpick method with and without glue and it's worked great.

17. justonwo

justonwo Member

18. burchyk

burchyk Member

I prefer huge strap buttons instead of straplocks

19. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I have used Schallers the past few years since I had the split ring in a Dunlop fail. I have also used the toothpick + wood glue method. No problems, works great. Schaller does sell the buttons only under their branding now. I just bought a set.

20. TSTALEY

TSTALEY Member

I put dunlops on my R9 and I just used tooth picks no glue and it works fine.