Straplocks for 335?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Neil, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Neil

Neil Member

I like to use straplocks on my guitars but on the 335 the strap attaches to a button that screws into the neck joint from behind. The straplock screws are generaly larger diameter and longer. Will I do any damage by going with the straplock screw or should i cut it down? (Cant use the standard button screw as the head is to big to fit inside the straplock).

Thanks
    Neil

2. Buffaloe

Buffaloe Member

I had Schallers on mine and they worked fine in the neck. I had to use a touch of wood glue on the one in the butt (that sounds gross) but that did the trick.

3. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

I had a 336 and put it on the top cut like a Les Paul. That way the guitar doesn't lean forward away from you.

4. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

I have a 335 copy and installed Dunlop straplocks on the guitar, and they work perfectly. I had to use some woodglue and toothpicks for the neck straplock, but it came out fine. I don't think there's any risk of drilling in the neck area because the neck is a set neck, meaning its glued in.

5. rooster

rooster Member

If you can find a friend with a disc sander, get the correct sized wood screw in stainless steel, and just shave the edge of the screwhead down so it fits. Poof.

rooster.

6. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

What rooster said , or screw it in a dowel , chuck the dowel in a drill press , and use a sanding block ;)

7. aeolian

aeolian Member

I just found a screw that was the same length (sticking out of the straploc) and used that. Actually I think I did chuck it in a drill press and use a file to trim the diameter of the head a bit. It does work loose from time to time and I do keep and eye on it. I wiggle the buttons (both ends) everytime I play.

8. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

the cheapie way is a rubber washer over your usual strap. will stop it from falling off :)

9. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I use the little plastic (I think they are Dunlop) disc style strap locks on my 335 with no problems.

They are about 5 bucks for the pair and you utilize the original equipment strap buttons.

Put the strap on the button, the disc over the strap and twist!

10. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

this is a great tip from adam levy's website

Lesson #5. Keep your guitar strap from falling off. Sure, you can buy hardware specifically designed to keep your strap locked on, but some such products can be a drag because you have to modify your guitar to install them. Thanks to guitar-tech extraordinaire Kelly Macaulay for suggesting a cheap, easy-to-use alternative that requires no alterations to your instrument: neoprene rubber faucet washers, available at any ol' hardware store for about 69 cents. The ones I use are made by the Danco Company of Concordville, Pennsylvania. The Danco stock number is 61805B - these are 1-1/4" in diameter, 1/6" thick, and have a 1/4" hole in the center. To get the washer over your strap button, use the first finger and thumb of each hand to grip it at the 9 o'clock position and 3 o'clock position, then pull in opposite directions. That'll open the hole just enough to get it onto your strap button. (Your strap should already be on the guitar first. The washers go over your strap ends.) Removal is even easier - grab the edge of the washer and pull it over the button and toward the opposite side, as if turning the page of a book.

11. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

From now on I doing this.

thanx

12. Neil

Neil Member

Thanks everyone.

Regards
    Neil

13. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Fender screws work with no problem on Schallers , and they have deeper threads to boot . ;) :AOK