1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Straplocks on a PRS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fenderbender4, Aug 9, 2006.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Are these easy to install? Or should I bring it to a tech?

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

just as easy as installing them on anything else....

3. danlineberger

danlineberger Supporting Member

Had them on my Custom 22...

Just unscrew the originals and reuse the screw for the straplocks.

4. astainback

astainback Member

The problem with reusing the screw is the stock screws usually have a bigger top on them and do not fit down into the straplocks.
    I just installed them on my cousin's faded Les Paul this past weekend and ALMOST stripped the new screws out. I forgot about the use a little oil part.. I took them back out and but a drop of bearing oil I use on my RC trucks. Dan's banana lube, and they went right in!!
    If your stock screws will fit into the straplock.. I would use them.. but don't count on it fitting.
    Adrian

5. astainback

astainback Member

The problem with reusing the screw is the stock screws usually have a bigger top on them and do not fit down into the straplocks.
    I just installed them on my cousin's faded Les Paul this past weekend and ALMOST stripped the new screws out. I forgot about the use a little oil part.. I took them back out and but a drop of bearing oil I use on my RC trucks. Dan's banana lube, and they went right in!!
    If your stock screws will fit into the straplock.. I would use them.. but don't count on it fitting.
    Adrian

6. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

If you're using Dunlops, they're easy as pie to install - even I can do it!

You have to use the Dunlop screws, not the PRS screws. Dunlop will mail you screws for free if you don't have them. Also, a GREAT tip from BaM is to put candle wax on the screws before screwing them in - helps them go in MUCH easier.

Good luck!

Joe

7. danlineberger

danlineberger Supporting Member

Hmm...

Didn't have this problem, worked great for me using Schallers. I was a little hesitant to screw anyting bigger into the stock hole.

8. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I've never done any installation like this before. I've never done anything to my guitars except restring them.

9. Hamer Player

Hamer Player Senior Member

I use DiMarzio locking straps with the screw they include.

[​IMG]

But I don't have a PRS.

10. SCREEM

SCREEM Member

my schaller strap locks whent on perfect using the guitars original screws on my '05 cu22

11. Greg

Greg Supporting Member

I believe I used the original PRS screws and installed Schallers too. But this was over 10 years ago. (Schallers are still there.)

I think the PRS screws have a smaller head than the Fender strap button screws, so that's the difference. It is true that the screws on Fender strap buttons won't fit into the Schaller strap lock button. Many people break off a toothpick in the hole (some also use glue), then install the strap lock button with the screws that came with them, which keeps them nice and tight.

If you have a screwdriver that's the correct size, it's as simple as can be. 2 minutes tops.