• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Straplocks: Use them and if so which?

hazel-rah

Don't use Jim Dunlop's strap-locks---they dropped two of my guitars. the metal pin is made of a material that is not hard enough, and it will wear over time, creating a rounded edge...at some point, the guitar will fall out. Mine crash landed twice before my third set of strap-locks became my last. The little red rubbers washers that come on bottles of Grolsch beer are the best...seriously.

Johnny

mysticaxe

I'm a big fan of the Schallers - as long as you periodically check the tightness of the nut holding the piece to your strap, they work great (and act as their own backup)!

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I do like the Dunlop Dual Design Straplocks. I've never had a problem, but probably don't gig nearly as much as hazel-rah. I prefer the way the Dunlop's attach to the strap and how you can use them as regular strap buttons, if need be.

baimun

I've used Schallers in the past... they worked well, but the SQUEAKING of metal rubbing against metal was like brushing my teeth with a cheese grater. :messedup

Now ALL of my guitars have OVERSIZED strap buttons like shown below:

They're simply Fender Bass String Retainers. Once you slip the strap around the button and give it a little tug into place, it's NOT slipping off the button.... and no squeaking.

These all but identical with the oversized buttons that PRS uses on all of their guitars. ;)

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I use Dunlop Dual Design because they work pretty well as regular strap buttons too in a pinch.

SigXer

I like the Schallers. The only issue is that they leave metal filings on my LP because of the angle on the upper bout strap button. I'll probably have to replace them in a few years due to wear.

dazco

I've been using dunlops for so long i can't remember. probably since the early 80;s. I still have the original set plus a couple more for other guyitars. But the main strap and locks i have used since the early 80's is still in use after several decades of gigging and never once have any of them broken or slipped out etc etc. They've been flawless for me, and that ione set has literally done thousands of gigs and still works perfect. I've had the shallers and they're ok, i just don't like the way they attach as much.

russ

Silver Supporting Member
I like the Dunlops above.
No need to permantly install on a guitar. Works w/ all guitars and straps. Easy on, easy off. Cheap too!

dk123123dk

Dunlop Dual Design. My brother brought his guitar to a gig the other day and had no strap. So once I removed the locking mechanism, he used my strap. Then I just used the strap on my guitar for the rest of the night without the locking system. Very handy. I had a slight squeaking problem, but a little WD-40 cleared that up.

dk

Trending Topics