1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Straps - opinions please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stevel, Feb 14, 2009.

1. stevel

stevel Member

Yes, that's not a typo - straPs not strats. I don't see them discussed much here, but I'm looking for some recommendations.

My problem with the fabric style straps is that they stick to my shirt and I can't re-adjust the guitar up and down as easily while I play (not adjust the strap, just move the guitar neck up and down to access different positions).

I've thought about those vintage style Fender ones that have a thin strap, and a pad that slides along it. One assumes the pad goes on your shoulder and stays there, and the strap slides through it allowing the guitar to move.

How do these work? Do they work, or does the pad move around when you don't want it to? Is the strap part big enough to accept strap-locks?

I've got a leather strap, but it's backed with cloth - and the problem is, at the point I have it adjusted, the leather (which slips well on a shirt - but not skin - oww) only covers half my back.

I've seen those wooden ones that are like those things people put in their car seats - all rolly and massagy.

Worth it? Seems like they'd poke into my sholder.

Suggestions?

Steve

2. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

I tried just about every strap I could find, the only one that was comfortable is a leather Franklin... they're about $45, but sooo nice... wide, soft leather, rough suede back... I have back/shoulder issues... and my band practices about 4 hours non stop... even the nice Levys have me in pain after a couple hours, I can play twice as long with a Franklin

3. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

I have a really sweet leather vintage-style strap with pad that I wish I could play live. Because the pad is smooth on the bottom, the whole thing slips around on my shoulders. I can't use it onstage. It will nosedive if I'm not careful and holding on to the guitar. Looks good, though. I prefer cloth straps, not too wide, and they seem to settle in just fine.

4. SigXer

SigXer Member

I have a Levy's strap that is leather on the top and suede on the bottom. I wear it inside-out so that the slick leather part is on my shirt and the comparatively rough suede is on the outside. I think it works great for what I want. Perhaps you could give that a try.

5. matthet

matthet Member

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

8. Structo

Structo Member

I prefer a wide leather strap. I hate those nylon ones because they slide back and forth too much.
    For a heavy guitar I like a wide padded strap.

9. trap

trap Supporting Member

i just picked up a lockit strap and i love it. it's made from hemp, and the lockit system is amazingly simple and effective! www.lockitstraps.com. and cool colors i might add.

10. hucklebee

hucklebee Supporting Member

11. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Here are two awesome ones I just picked up a few weeks ago...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I think Moody straps are the best in the world, but pricey. It will last forever, however.

13. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

wide leather straps swede on the inside really helps, outside can be lots of things.

14. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

15. shane88

shane88 Member

sheesh i've never had probs with the good ol' mother of seatbelt ernie balls which cost about $5 in america (they want about $10 oz for em here)

16. riggergreg

riggergreg Member

17. Big Tim

Big Tim Member

I prefer a nylon strap. Planet waves makes a wide, slightly padded one for 15$ at GC. It is all black so it doesn't look silly with little patterns etc. Just simple and classy. I like nylon because of the ease of adjusting the guitar. I found that leather/suede, despite looking neat up close, don't do a great job of adjusting on the fly.

18. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

Give Bob at Brookwood Leather a call. He makes the best straps. I always get double sided cut to fit straps using nice thick leather. The side against your clothes is therefore also smooth and won't get caught. I can't recommend them highly enough, I have 4 with 3 more on the way! Bob is super helpful about choosing the right size and colors.

http://brookwoodleather.com/

19. Dan S

Dan S Member

I second this. Very nice straps.

20. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Silver Supporting Member

I just use the vintage one that comes in Fender guitar cases. I did order a strap from Jody Head that looks cool and wasnt too expensive. I need to talk to the Brookwood guy and check out his vintage style. It looks as if the shoulder pad isnt curved to fit your shoulder?